• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

a new breakfast food chain

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Easy-to-eat treat sits well with commuters
Kolache Factory, with 2 franchises in Indianapolis area, seeks more growth.
http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/156448-2970-031.html
Indianapolis Star, Monday June 21, 2004

Highlights from article:
The what -
Kolaches -- pronounced koe-LAH-chees -- are sweet yeast rolls, stuffed with a variety of ingredients from fruit and cheese to sausage and eggs.
Taste and portability in America's commuting culture are keys to the product's popularity,...

Early history -
picked a bad location.
"It was on the wrong side of the street," Banks said. "People in Houston think of kolaches as breakfast, so you need to be on the morning (commute) side of the street."

Future -
...envisions a 200-store national chain by 2008, a goal he concedes is ambitious.

teshadoh

Cyburbian
I read they're coming to Atlanta... yummm.....

But down here in the south we just call 'em sausage rolls.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
They would do very well in my home town of Cedar Rapids, Iowa--home of the largest ethnic Czech and Slovakian community in the US. St. Ludmilla Parish's annual Kolache Fest draws thousands.

boiker

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
They would do very well in my home town of Cedar Rapids, Iowa--home of the largest ethnic Czech and Slovakian community in the US. St. Ludmilla Parish's annual Kolache Fest draws thousands.
Being from a polish heritage and attending an slovak church.. I've had my fill of rozek and kolaches. my favorite are apricot or poppy seed.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
folks who frequent the FAC already know of Maister's fondness for ethnic foods. If Kelaches wants to come to Michigan I say welcome. But I should warn them the whole eastern-central european food thing is an idea ahead of its time. I still think I should have started that Hungarian/Russian restarant chain up when I had the chance - called the 'Goulash Gulag'...if anyone else would like to steal the idea go ahead, just mail me $1000 for coming up with that cool name.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
My grandmother made delicious kolaches. I have her recipe, but mine do not turn out as good. I agree with boiker - apricot are the best.