• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

A New Series Brought to you by Cyburbia

Budgie

Cyburbian
Starting today --- Budgie's, daily song review. A Neverending (tm) Thread devoted to a brief and inappropriate discussion of Budgie's song of the day.

DISCLAIMER: In a neverending quest to derive the origins of American stupidy, Budgie will only discuss songs from the genres of "country" and "western" (which are supposedly two independent "genres") from the prespective of how only an ignoramous could possibly listen to such a predictable diatribe of highway oriented cultural american acumen. LORD, help us all. "But here in Topeka, there's one on the way" -- by an artist who will remain nameless until a Cyburbianite figures it out herein.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Song 3-4-04

Today I'd like to throw together a little rant on a classic slice of Americana.

Today's song is "I Am My Own Grandpa". One of the 4 album K-Tel set I grew up with was a major compilation called "The Grand Ole Opry". This double fold set had a sliver of curtain (red satin) from the old "Grand Ole' Opry" hotglued on the inside. The copy I have had the curtain sliver ripped off probably my some redneck so he could make some cool drapes for his 71 vintage single wide.

Anyway, I think most people know the premise of this song. Lonzo and Oscar was the group performing this ditty on the "Ole' Opry" album, the original recording was from the early 1950's. This song was assuming in the 40's and 50's as a clever juxtaposition of marital arrangements. Of course the two older people in the song are widows/widowers rather than divorcees (although I guess we don't know the marital status of the singers father). Completely outlandish for it's day. But today it seems completely plausible and undoubtedly Jerry Springer has already had a show on it. A revised version should be something like "I'm my own uncle and brother's father" or "I'm my own Greatgrandfather".