• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

A new take on public toilets

nerudite

Cyburbian
I think it's cool!

I went into a bathroom once with windows in the little toilet cubicle... it was in a highrise so nobody could see in. It may have been in the WTC come to think of it. It was a little bizarre, especially since there were some buildings way off in the distance.

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I think it's cool!

They'll be a fight tonight on the commute home. ;)

I can see my friends doing a "pressed ham" to the person inside the thing.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
donk said:
They'll be a fight tonight on the commute home. ;)

I can see my friends doing a "pressed ham" to the person inside the thing.

I'd still use it, but I think the first or second time, I might have a little bit of trepidation.

Might be fun to have "public" sex though...

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Would I use it?? HMMMM

Let's see

#1 Yes

#2 NO

#2 is either done at home or at work. NO public facilities unless I'm bout to explode.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Don't people already go to the bathroom in public? i.e. homeless, drunks, the french ;)

Doesn't San Francisco have those pay toilets? I saw some documentary on heroin users and they were doing their thing in there.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I am a bad girl. After reading this, I sent the link to my trails team to let them know this was a new idea we need to consider for trailhead restroom facilities. Of course I stressed the safety factor, that users could see if any unsavory types were hanging around outside.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
One thought: Can't you see through one-way glass under certain lighting conditions? (I mean see through the side you're not supposed to be able to see through).

Rem

Cyburbian
BiteMeElmo said:
One thought: Can't you see through one-way glass under certain lighting conditions? (I mean see through the side you're not supposed to be able to see through).

I was thinking the same thing - usually at night and if there is a light source inside the cubicle. BiteMeElmo could up being very famous on the internet if he goes through with his plan at night.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Rem said:
I was thinking the same thing - usually at night and if there is a light source inside the cubicle. BiteMeElmo could up being very famous on the internet if he goes through with his plan at night.

We'll be looking for the news coverage on that one.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

Exquisitely-designed; hand-crafted of the finest porcelain imported from France, the nation of love. The Love Toilet. From Niagara, the Toilet People. Because when you're in love, even five minutes apart can seem like an eternity.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dan said:

Exquisitely-designed; hand-crafted of the finest porcelain imported from France, the nation of love. The Love Toilet. From Niagara, the Toilet People. Because when you're in love, even five minutes apart can seem like an eternity.

I have NEVER felt that close to anyone. Eew. Ick.

donk

Cyburbian
Dan said:

Would this be the RUGGED version?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
donk said:
Would this be the RUGGED version?

Our cabin in Washington had a outhouse and we would say "have to go up the hill" when it was time to use it. I remember when I was real young, I was so scared at night to go there. But I never understood why it was a two-seater outhouse. You never used it with anyone...why?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Isn't it a safety hazard to have a big mirrored box in the middle of the sidewalk? I can picture someone running into it.

Oh my God, I sound like an engineer. :-c

Floridays

Cyburbian
There was a sub place back home, City Bites, that had a bathroom like that. It was freaky! You'd be sitting on the loo, and watching everything that was going on in the restaurant, and HOPING that people really couldn't see in....I used it once, and that was it!
I must admit, though, it's better than the public bathrooms I experienced in Bangkok, which basically consisted of a hole in the ground. Ever squatted? Not fun!

ludes98

Cyburbian
Dan said:

Another good SNL commerical. Wasn't it Kevin Nealon and Victoria Jackson as the couple?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
..it's better than the public bathrooms I experienced in Bangkok, which basically consisted of a hole in the ground. Ever squatted? Not fun!

Same here when I traveled to the USSR in 1988. Holes in the ground, holes in the railroad car dropping right to the side of the tracks, squatters in the pedestrian underpassses under busy streets; no tp - just a copy of yesterdays Pravda newspaper. Ah...good times...

ludes98

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
...holes in the railroad car dropping right to the side of the tracks...
Hmm last time I was on Amtrak it wasn't any different, but that was some time ago.

Coming off the Mardi Gras season and having unwillingly seen too many people water trees, walls and whatever they could get to because of the lack of restroom facilities along parade routes, I think these sorts of things would be welcomed here.

Last edited: