• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

A question... (And I know it'll get moved but I'm needing answers now)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Why do cities have FRONT setbacks? Aside from the look, do you people find some technical reason? I know in major cities they often have no setbacks, and that kind of streetscape won't work here...

So... answers?

Administrator's note - Yes, this post will be moved. You do know better ... don't post messages in off-topic areas just because you think it'll get a quicker response. Please don't do this again.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
We don't - not in our downtown anyway. The rest of the commercial areas require a 30 foot setback. Why? Hmmm, not sure. I could probably figure it out but I get to go home now - whoopee!!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Auto domination. Setbacks allow parking in driveways front of residential buildings.

Greenspace. Grass is good.

Bulk and Mass control. Not the end-all answer, but a component of controlling scale.

I'll probably add to this when I get more time.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I'd have to say the same as BTurk- it's to allow for the parking and garage access (we don't see many homes with alley access anymore).

nerudite

Cyburbian
The whole mass, space, light... blah blah. Or for those cities that don't do any kind of transportation planning, it's future eminent domain for when they have to put an extra lane on a residential collector. ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Consider one of my favorite regulations, Wisconsin's own TRANS 233, which prohibits any improvements constructed within 50 feet of the right-of-way, or 110 feet of the centerline, whichever is further from the right-of-way line, on any state highway. Oh yeah, that promotes Smart Growth, New Urbanism, and a pedestrian orientation.

Top Bottom