• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

A question for BKM

Hey, BKM, you work for my city. Are there any areas zoned live-work?

I know Suisun has some on the waterfront. I would prefer to remain in Fairfield but Suisun is cheek to jowel with Fairfield's downtown and it has the only rail station in the county, so that would be a possibility (assuming I become a jillionaire).

We just renewed our lease, but I thought I would start looking to the future. (Sorry to do this publicly. Sometimes people don't respond to my PM's.)

BKM

Cyburbian
I don't think I've activated my PM function. I didn't really think about it. (I don't even know how. :)

As for "live-work" in Fairfield-there is nothing specifically zoned for live-work, but most of our commercial districts also allow for residential use with a conditional use permit. Most of the neighborhoods near downtown, for example, would allow both residential and office uses in the same building. Also-the City just approved a small project near Armijo High School that will include offices with an apartment above. I also received a queation from a member of the public about converting the former Sanwa Bank Building downtown into a live-work complex.

Our zoning ordinance would give you the flexibility to do a live-work unit. To date, though, interest has been limited. One larger project was voted down by a City Council and Planning Commission who wanted to "save" the site for large floorplan office space.

(I understand the Suisun City project is very expensive-$700,000+)

You can call me at ***-**** if you have any questions about specific locations or projects.

Thank you! I still hope to get together with you -- the holidays were nuts. But I sincerely hope that either you or a mod will remove your phone number from the World Wide Web! (I used to moderate. Posting phone numbers like that is a not very good idea.)

You don't need to "activate" your pm function. I discovered mine when I noticed I had a green light at the bottom of my screen indicating someone had sent me a message. I don't know how many days it had been there! <grin> I did reply to it when I found it.

EDIT: I also don't want to live in Suisun (even if I could afford it) because it is too wet. Respiratory problems and mildew don't go real well together. I was officially diagnosed as "asthmatic" (a common misdiagnosis for the disorder I have) at age 30 when I lived about 2 blocks from the river in Richland, Washington, and across the street from a public park full of grass and trees (with no central air to filter any of that). It is my understanding that the live-work zoned stuff is along the waterfront, as part of their re-do of the whole marina area. They spoke of some of that at a bi-county transportation training thing I attended last May in VV.

Last edited:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
BKM, I deleted your phone number - wouldn't want any weirdos calling you! ;)

MZ is right about the PM function - it's located towards the bottom of the screen when you are at the Cyburbia Forum Main Index.