• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

A question for BKM

Hey, BKM, you work for my city. Are there any areas zoned live-work?

I know Suisun has some on the waterfront. I would prefer to remain in Fairfield but Suisun is cheek to jowel with Fairfield's downtown and it has the only rail station in the county, so that would be a possibility (assuming I become a jillionaire).

We just renewed our lease, but I thought I would start looking to the future. (Sorry to do this publicly. Sometimes people don't respond to my PM's.)

BKM

Cyburbian
I don't think I've activated my PM function. I didn't really think about it. (I don't even know how. :)

As for "live-work" in Fairfield-there is nothing specifically zoned for live-work, but most of our commercial districts also allow for residential use with a conditional use permit. Most of the neighborhoods near downtown, for example, would allow both residential and office uses in the same building. Also-the City just approved a small project near Armijo High School that will include offices with an apartment above. I also received a queation from a member of the public about converting the former Sanwa Bank Building downtown into a live-work complex.

Our zoning ordinance would give you the flexibility to do a live-work unit. To date, though, interest has been limited. One larger project was voted down by a City Council and Planning Commission who wanted to "save" the site for large floorplan office space.

(I understand the Suisun City project is very expensive-$700,000+)

You can call me at ***-**** if you have any questions about specific locations or projects.

Thank you! I still hope to get together with you -- the holidays were nuts. But I sincerely hope that either you or a mod will remove your phone number from the World Wide Web! (I used to moderate. Posting phone numbers like that is a not very good idea.)

You don't need to "activate" your pm function. I discovered mine when I noticed I had a green light at the bottom of my screen indicating someone had sent me a message. I don't know how many days it had been there! <grin> I did reply to it when I found it.

EDIT: I also don't want to live in Suisun (even if I could afford it) because it is too wet. Respiratory problems and mildew don't go real well together. I was officially diagnosed as "asthmatic" (a common misdiagnosis for the disorder I have) at age 30 when I lived about 2 blocks from the river in Richland, Washington, and across the street from a public park full of grass and trees (with no central air to filter any of that). It is my understanding that the live-work zoned stuff is along the waterfront, as part of their re-do of the whole marina area. They spoke of some of that at a bi-county transportation training thing I attended last May in VV.

Last edited:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
BKM, I deleted your phone number - wouldn't want any weirdos calling you! ;)

MZ is right about the PM function - it's located towards the bottom of the screen when you are at the Cyburbia Forum Main Index.