• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

A retirement article without mentioning Florida!!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Median home price in Charleston, SC is $165,000? I always thought Charleston was very expensive. Are there lots of shacks balancing out the mansions?

When I'm retired the last thing I'll want is the heat of Florida or Arizona.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
All I can say, after reading those descriptions, is that retirement must be exhausting. What with all those plays and lectures to attend, ravines to hike, houses to restore, shopping to do--glad I've got another 40-45 years of work ahead of me, so I can rest up before retiring.
Ashland and Ithaca sound nice, though.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Median home price in Charleston, SC is $165,000? I always thought Charleston was very expensive. Are there lots of shacks balancing out the mansions?
Ever driven through North Charleston? That will help explain why the Median is only $160k.

I for one would like to retire to a place without a critical mass of retirees. Thy drive up property values, put a strain on services, and b*tch and moan about needing this/that and other ammenities they had back home until they manage to do away with what drew them to retire there in the first place.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
biscuit said:

I for one would like to retire to a place without a critical mass of retirees. Thy drive up property values, put a strain on services, and b*tch and moan about needing this/that and other ammenities they had back home until they manage to do away with what drew them to retire there in the first place.
hehehe.... this is why planners in Florida ignore all the old farts, 90% of whom tell us, in their nasal accents, that they know all about planning, they were on a planning board in NJ. Honestly, 90% of them???

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Interesting focus on smaller communities. If I can ever afford to retire, those are the types of places I'd want to live. The climate of the south is just not for me.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
Interesting focus on smaller communities. If I can ever afford to retire, those are the types of places I'd want to live. The climate of the south is just not for me.
Face it, we will never have the luxury of retirement. Our government has racked up enough debt and commitments (Social Security, Medicare, etc.) that the bill can only be paid at the expense of everyone alive under forty, and their grandchildren as well. We will see our taxes go up, our retirement age pushed back, and our benefits cut. Blame both the Democrats who put the programs in place and the Republicans who have expanded and mismanaged them.