• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

A Serious Question

Goat or No Goat?

• Yes

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
All these questions being asked around here have inspired me to seek the throbing brains advice on a serious matter.

Okay throbing brain...which looks best on yours truly - gotee, or no gotee?

19nogoat_v2-med.jpg

19goat_v2-med.jpg

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Perhaps I'm biased....but if you like the goatee...keep it! (I've had mine since high school with 2 exceptions....once when my mother "forced" me to shave for my senior picture, and once in college after a trimming "accident").

BTW....were the pics taken on the same day? ;-)

Budgie

Cyburbian
I need to go find my mutton chop photo from 96. I wore them for a whole week before the nagging of my boss and wife became too much.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
PlannerGirl said:
I like it, but thats just me.
In victorian times, the goatee was a sign that a man was skilled in.... oral pleasure for his female partners. 8-!

Keep it.

I juststarted growing mine back again, but I'll probably lose it as soon as the grey becomes too obvious (again)

Floridays

Cyburbian
I like the goatee...for some reason, it brings out your eyes. (total chick comment, huh). o:)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Floridays said:
I like the goatee...for some reason, it brings out your eyes. (total chick comment, huh). o:)
You could have said "It hides wrinkles!" :-}

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I say lose it. But I've never seriously cultivated facial hair.

JNL

Cyburbian
I think you look younger without, but I think I prefer with.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I say dump it 'cause if I can't have a goatee than nobody else should have one. ;-)

BKM

Cyburbian
Haven't had facial hair since high school (god, that mustache was hideous in my old photos), but with your facial structure, I think the goatee looks better.

Budgie

Cyburbian
I've worn a goat continuously for the last 3 years. The real question is how many lude nicknames do you know for a goatee. There must be hundreds of them from "pelvic crash pad" to "flavor saver".

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
This is really the first time I've seriously grown a goatee. I've had it about three weeks now (whenever the playoffs started). Mrs. Tranplanner (whose opinion in this matter counts the most ;)) likes the look, but hates the feel. Too picky still :D

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it - I'll probably shave it off eventually (once the playoffs end).

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
go with the goat

It helps you look a little older and minimizes the weakish chin.

BTW - how'd you do the pics? Same clothes, different day?

Personally:
I'm hit or miss when it comes to faical hair. I would go with it if it didn't grow so slowly and sparse. Plus, I'm not very good with facial hair management to begin with.

boiker

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
I've worn a goat continuously for the last 3 years. The real question is how many lude nicknames do you know for a goatee. There must be hundreds of them from "pelvic crash pad" to "flavor saver".
[bad dramatic spanish accent]
my goatee is/was known simply as....The Goat

It is too important and mysterious for a last name, firstname, or a nickname. it is simply..what it is.
[/bad dramatic spanish accent]

PH34R 7h3 G047!

ludes98

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Emphasis added.

You don't have to use my name in vain. You mean lewd, though we Ludes often get confused with being pill popping sexual deviants. It's just not true! ;-)

I say no goat, however, I have never had an affinity for facial hair.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Last time I tried growing one of those I looked like
it was patchy and more salt then pepper,
due to 2nd degree burn from many years before.

Therefore, IMHO, if it looks great keep it.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Generally, I am not a fan of facial hair. I've always disliked beards. But a goatee I can tolerate.

I think it looks good on you. Gives you face more character. Of course, Mrs Tranplanner should make the ultimate decision.

jmf

Cyburbian
I like the goatee but I am biased since I have been with a goateed one for 11 years.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
mendelman said:
go with the goat

It helps you look a little older and minimizes the weakish chin.

BTW - how'd you do the pics? Same clothes, different day?
Weak-chinned? Weak-chinned?! How dare you...you neanderthal you! ;)

I just happened to be wearing the same outfit yesterday when I stumbled across some pics I had taken about a month or so ago when I was testing the timer function on the digital camera. I had a sudden thought of doing a before and after photo expose.

I need to buy a beard trimmer this weekend...it's getting a bit shaggy.

el Guapo

Capitalist
TP:
Thank god you're from Ontario. If you were from Oklahoma* the question would be Teeth or No Teeth.

BTW - Same Shirt & Tie? Is this another example of Canadian Photoshop Trickery? ;)

*Sorry OU Levin - Please feel free to use Kansas as the butt of your next joke. :)

Queen B

Cyburbian
I say keep it!

King B had sported a full beard since he was 16 and I talked him into a goatee a couple of months ago. I love it.

Goatees/Beards are always better for kissing. No matter how clean shaven a man could try to be, there would be some point in the day when he would be poky.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Well.. the farthest I've gone without shaving must have been like 2 months, and unless you don't have problems with the itchy beard... I'd say go for it... I just couldn't do it though :( Damn itchy beard!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Queen B said:
....No matter how clean shaven a man could try to be, there would be some point in the day when he would be poky.
he he he...she said 'poky'.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The goat looks good.

Hockey play-off question: If the Leafs bow out early do you still stay bearded through the play-offs?

Like Michaelskis, this Bear is a Red Wing fan. We aren't a "sure thing", either. We keep dancing with these hot goalies.

Bear With Beard (except during chemotherapy) For thirty-five (35) years.

The One

Cyburbian
Goat

I got one 6 years ago and haven't looked back, even though now I'm in Florida.....Go for it, one of those mountain man goats!

Belle

Cyburbian
sisterceleste said:
you look younger without it
Maybe it's pyschological, but I think you look younger WITH the goatee, maybe it's because you look more contemporary/hip

/disclaimer/ I'm biased--I've always liked guys with goatees, and my fiance just accepted a new job where he could grow his in again after a year of shaving, so I'm goatee-crazy right now! /disclaimer/

I voted "goat" (yes). I am in no mood to explain. Someone in some other forum seems intent on using everything I say to prove that I am guilty of what I don't think I did in the first place. Paranoia is setting in. So I voted "goat" and I will not "defend" it. :-D

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
you look younger without...no goat.

btw...i am shocked that the word rugged has not been mentioned yet...unless i missed it...that's possible.

Go Go Goat!

I like the Goat. But I'm with Mrs. Tran - hate the scratchiness - love the way it looks.

jresta

Cyburbian
i've started a habit of not shaving two days before thanksgiving so that when i come back to work the following tuesday I have a passable beard. I just refuse to shave in the winter anymore. Nothing is worse than scraping your face clean only to go out into the biting wind and cold.

I got rid of it last month.

If i grow facial hair it's all about the least amount of work and most amount of comfort. If the goat gets you closer i say keep it.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Go for the goat! My husband sported one for several years, and finally lost it after being nagged endlessly by his grandmother (he's such a nice young man). They add character.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Tranplanner said:
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it - I'll probably shave it off eventually (once the playoffs end).
Got your razor handy?

Habanero

Cyburbian
I am wondering how we haven't had a photoshopped picture of Tran with a mullet by now..

Last edited:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Habanero said:
I wondering how we haven't had a photoshopped picture of Tran with a mullet by now..
Damn, I love you Habanero!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I am beginning to think :p
maybe that his sideburns and hair is too long anyway. ;-)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mastiff said:
Got your razor handy?
*sigh* I need new blades before I can safely remove it.

Mrs. Tranplanner has invoked her veto and the goatee will be coming off this weekend...

Habanero said:
I am wondering how we haven't had a photoshopped picture of Tran with a mullet by now..

Is this good enough? With friends like mine, who needs enemies?

Last edited:

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Tranplanner said:
*sigh* I need new blades before I can safely remove it.
Wait a day or two... razors near the throat after losing in the play-offs is a bad idea.