• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

A symposium on the "f" word

Jeff

Cyburbian
There is a difference between ass kickin and murder. And I believe he said "everyone" deserves an ass kickin once in their life (regardless of sexual preference not because of).

Isn' that like a right of passage though....like you can't be completely fabulous until you've been gay bashed, put down by the man, etc. Just like you can't consider yourself a true heterosexual until you've hooked up with the fat girl.

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
Two things about Prudence's comments:

1) How do you define an "ass-kicking"? It's arbitrary and can mean many things to many people. And why do people deserve at least one ass-kicking in life? What is it about violence that equates with rites-of-passage?

2) What about "tolerance"? Again, another arbitrary term. The following scenarios illustrate tolerance, but also illustrate the unending scope of what it means to be tolerant:

a) A man walks by the local gay bar and thinks to himself, "Stupid fags!" But in reality, he wants to open the front door and scream out, "Stupid fags!" to all the men sitting at the bar. Fortunately, this man was tolerant enough to keep his thoughts to himself.

b) A man walks into the local gay bar and begins to violently smash his fists at an unsuspeting male. The man stops once the gay man's nose begins to bleed. But in reality, he wants to continue the work, to break more bones, to cause more internal bleeding. Fortunately, this man was tolerant enough to throw only four punches at the gay man's face.

I'll use the "Sorry [insert group here, ie: pregos, trekkies, etc]" but "fag" does make me uncomfortable - my little bro is gay, and while he has a fabulous sense of humor about it, it still makes me bristle a bit.

However, I catch myself calling things "retarded" all the time. I'd never call anyone a "retard" but yet, the "that's so retarded" often will slip out. hypocritical? probably. this whole discussion gives me a headache, but makes me happy that it can be done civilly.

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
Mike D. said:
And I believe he said "everyone" deserves an ass kickin once in their life (regardless of sexual preference not because of).

Why? What if I said you deserve an ass-kicking because you posted something really stupid on Cyburbia? I'm not trying to be a jackass with you - just trying to make a point. This "at least one ass-kicking in your life" concept seems so arbitrary. There is no basis for it. When do the rules begin for the ass-kicking to start? What are the circumstances that may delay the initiation of the ass-kicking? Once an ass-kicking begins, what rules must be followed? Can you kick some one in the groin? If you think some one is a fag can you go ahead and kick his ass?

prudence

Cyburbian
Alan said:
Two things about Prudence's comments:

1) How do...

2) What about ....

a) A man walks ...
b) A man ...

What in the hell are you talking about?

green lizard

Is that ass-kicking or ass-kissing....

Because I belive everyone needs a good ass-kissing
at sometime in their life.....

I feels so good to be at the gettin end of some
ass-kissing from an underling.

prudence

Cyburbian
Alan said:
Why? What if I said you deserve an ass-kicking because you posted something really stupid on Cyburbia? I'm not trying to be a jackass with you - just trying to make a point. This "at least one ass-kicking in your life" concept seems so arbitrary. There is no basis for it. When do the rules begin for the ass-kicking to start? What are the circumstances that may delay the initiation of the ass-kicking? Once an ass-kicking begins, what rules must be followed? Can you kick some one in the groin? If you think some one is a fag can you go ahead and kick his ass?

Alan, you have missed my point. Have you ever been in a fight? For whatever reason??

Last year I got caught in the middle of someone else's fight...I walked out of a bathroom and got caught in the crossfire of someone else's battle...and I was hit upside the head with a bottle, resulting 22 stitches on my cheek and around my eye...

Now, I didn't start the fight. And I didn't finish the fight. And to this day I don't know who hit me. But I got my ass kicked. I didn't fall, I didn't cry...I stood there for a second with a "what the f*ck look on my face while the guy who hit me ran out of the bar.

It was a very quick reminder of life...unexpected, brutal, unforgiving, and blind...now, being 6'2" and 200 lbs. and very athletic, I probably could have inflicted some damage on others...I could have sued the bar...I could have done a lot of things, but it wouldn't have changed the fact that I had severe gashes on my face...so I walked to the hospital two blocks away.

And why are you stuck on the f** thing?? Getting your arse kicked has nothing to do with race, gender, age, orientation, etc...Getting your arse kicked once in your life is a reminder that there is always something bigger and badder out there. So, while you could exert your will on the smaller and less powerful, there will be a time where you will be the smaller and less powerful.

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
prudence said:
What in the hell are you talking about?

I'm referring to this comment by you: "And everybody does need to be tolerant of one another." I'm not picking on you personally, but just pointing out there is no universal definition of what it means to be "tolerant." In Cyburbia, how tolerant are we going to be with usage of "fag"? That's what this thread is about, right? Is tolerance about the outright ban of it's usage, or is tolerance about the discreet usage of the "fag" term in appropriate contexts?

I didn't mean to be so oblique.

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
And why are you stuck on the f** thing??

I've been interpreting "ass-kicking" as if it were an intentional activity. As your example shows, an "ass-kicking" can be quite random. Now I understand where you are coming from.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Lets talk about strippers...

and what an important role they play in todays society.

Planderella

Cyburbian
prudence said:
Getting your arse kicked has nothing to do with race, gender, age, orientation, etc...Getting your arse kicked once in your life is a reminder that there is always something bigger and badder out there. So, while you could exert your will on the smaller and less powerful, there will be a time where you will be the smaller and less powerful.

While I understand your point, I don't believe that you have to literally get your "arse" kicked in order to be reminded that there is always something bigger and badder out there. Some people have their religious/spiritual beliefs to realize that. There are figurative "arse" kickings such as losing a loved one, being diagnosed with a serious illness, getting dumped by the love of your life, etc. etc.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan's original objective in starting this thread was to explore the use of the term. I think it's run its course and is degenerating.

Thread closed.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
After reading the points of view here:

* I don't want casual discussions on Cyburbia to be stifled by the fear of being "politically correct." Cyburbia's moderators and I won't act as PC police.

* When used in context (i.e. the Mr. Brain's post) or as an inside joke, in moderation, the word "fag" is tolerated.

* When used to refer to a person or group of people in a deragatory manner, the word "fag" or "gay" is unacceptable.

* The outing of fellow Cyburbianites is unacceptable. Regarding sexual preference, let users speak for themselves.

* When the word "fag" is spotted in posts, moderators will deal with it on a case-by-case basis. Depending on how the term is used, and how it's interpreted, moderators may choose to edit or delete the offending post.