• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

A tragic day in Toledo, Ohio

SGB

Cyburbian
Messages
3,387
Points
25
It couldn't happen to a nicer city.

My experience in Toledo is limited to a one night stay in a rancid Super 8 off of I-90 in January 1992. There were people talking in an alley outside my ground floor room window all night. I think I slept a total of 30 minutes.

That experience only reinforced my connection of Toledo with the infamous John Denver song lyrics. (Words & Music by Randy Sparkes, actually.)
 

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
17,346
Points
53
Super Amputee Cat said:
One of two things that Toledo could boast about until now: No Wal-Mart and no Starbucks. Now only one is true.
Wow ... no Wal-Mart stores until now? Looks like you're not missing out ... that's the basic Wal-Mart store, with no architectural embellishments, no landscaping in the parking lot. Awful design, and I'm sure the folks in Toledo are glad to have it. "Any development is good" ... sad to see that depression-era thinking is still around.

A while ago, there was a thread about chains as an indicator of sorts. Chains aren't necessarily negative; the presence of certain chain retailers and restaurants can be seen as a sign of the desirability of a metro area or neighborhood. Consider that in Buffalo, upscale restaurant chains (Morton's, Cheesecake Factory, Houston's, P.F. Changs, Macaroni Grill, etc) and many upscale retailers (Restoration Hardware, Sharper Image, etc) have no market presence. Starbucks saturated metro Orlando, but there were no outlets in the western 'burbs, despite a plethora of big rooftops; West Orange is home to a middle/upper middle income Confederate crowd, and Travis and Betty don't drink no damn espresso.

No Wal-Mart, though? How could Wal-Mart miss an entire metropolitan area ... in the midwest, even? Any other large, high-profile chains that don't have a presence in Toledo?
 

Jeff

Cyburbian
Messages
4,161
Points
27
Was there a KMart in Toledo before bankruptcy? How about Target or any of the others?
 
Messages
5,353
Points
31
Re: Re: A tragic day in Toledo, Ohio

Dan said:



A while ago, there was a thread about chains as an indicator of sorts. Chains aren't necessarily negative; the presence of certain chain retailers and restaurants can be seen as a sign of the desirability of a metro area or neighborhood. Consider that in Buffalo, upscale restaurant chains (P.F. Changs) have no market presence.
And all this time, I thought P.F. Chang's was a local restaurant. Dang!
 

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
Messages
176
Points
7
Super Amputee Cat said:
One of two things that Toledo could boast about until now: No Wal-Mart and no Starbucks. Now only one is true.
Yeah, but there are at least a couple Meijer stores. They are just as big as a Super WalMart, and have the same effect on local businesses.
 
Messages
3,690
Points
27
ugh. my condolences. Although, I will say this about Walmart - two years ago one of my coworker's house burned to the ground. Walmart had them come in and go on a mini-shopping spree to tide them over until the insurance money came in. I thought that was pretty cool.
 

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Messages
2,116
Points
28
Re: Re: A tragic day in Toledo, Ohio

Bullwinkle said:

Yeah, but there are at least a couple Meijer stores. They are just as big as a Super WalMart, and have the same effect on local businesses.
True, but Meijer will never come close to the level of economic and environmental terrorism that Wal-Mart has perpetrated on a such worldwide scale. Meijer has negatively affected some businesses but Wal-Mart has destroyed the local economies of entire towns.

And so far no Meijer's have been abandoned for a "Super Meijer" being built two blocks away.

i]Originally posted by Dan [/i]
Wow ... no Wal-Mart stores until now? Looks like you're not missing out ... that's the basic Wal-Mart store, with no architectural embellishments, no landscaping in the parking lot. Awful design, and I'm sure the folks in Toledo are glad to have it. "Any development is good" ... sad to see that depression-era thinking is still around....


No Wal-Mart, though? How could Wal-Mart miss an entire metropolitan area ... in the midwest, even? Any other large, high-profile chains that don't have a presence in Toledo?
I would submit that we were the largest Metropolitan area without a Sprawl-Mart in the nation, until now. It was fun while it lasted. I believe the closest one was about 25 miles away.



__________________
 

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Messages
2,116
Points
28
Mike D. said:
Was there a KMart in Toledo before bankruptcy? How about Target or any of the others?
All of the K-Mart's in Toledo have so far survived bankruptcy, I believe. We have about 3 or 4 Targets.
 
Top