• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

A use for Walmarts HUGE lots?

Wulf9

Shopping center lots are sized for holiday demand of the year. They usually have excess capacity for 350 day a year, which could be used for other purposes.

H

Cyburbian
gkmo62u said:
Could Wal-mart charge for providing the service of a commuter lot?
IMO: They (or any owner) should of course be compensated either by charging the drivers per car of by a lump sum from the city if it is to be subsidized.

MennoJoshua

Cyburbian
Couldn't this be sold to Wal*Mart's as a positive thing for them? They would have a steady stream of commuters twice a day right next to their store. This is the first scenario of which I've conceived where people will be within walking distance of a Wal*Mart every day. If the commuters are like most people I know, they would end up buying everything at the Wal*Mart because it would be more convenient than going somewhere else.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
And if they embed a Starbucks they can cash in on that market too.......

I just thought of something

What if you could get everything you needed in bulk at one location. If that location was at a place you visited every day on your way to work, wouldn't that SAVE trips? I'm sure that would encorage more sprawl, but it should help traffic problems. You load up your Excursion with two weeks worth of supplies and head out. I think it's a good plan.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
A town just north of Toronto managed to get some park-and-ride spaces designated at a couple of big malls. I think it's a win-win situation - but I think some retailers are leery due to liablility issues. Don't know how they got around that in the example cited above.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
-If Wal-mart (A.K.A Krap-mart) doesn't want to comply you could always use the empty K-mart buildings' parking lots that are springing up everywhere.
-Here's one question though, are the receiving any subsidies on the purchase of the property, or our they financing it all themselves?

donk

Cyburbian
The other use for big box store's parking lots is to hold criteriums in them. We did a few here, until Sunday shopping killed it. No cops, no traffic, one person to deal with, very spectator friendly.

H

Cyburbian
donk said:
The other use for big box store's parking lots is to hold criteriums in them. We did a few here, until Sunday shopping killed it. No cops, no traffic, one person to deal with, very spectator friendly.
I thought the other use was to “spin out” when empty :-S

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Huston said:
-Lets not forget its a great place to leave your kids or pet in a locked car with the windows up, on a hot august afternoon. Yum chicken nuggets. Wait, what about the children!!!!!! Could you pass the hot-sauce please.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Huston said:
Oh yes, those big empty parking lots are great for doing donuts and sliding around in after good snows. Yee ha!

I suppose I still have more redneck left in me than I care to admit.

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
-If Wal-mart (A.K.A Krap-mart) doesn't want to comply you could always use the empty K-mart buildings' parking lots that are springing up everywhere.
Or, failing that, one could always use the empty wal-mart parking lot that is left when Wal-mart abandons a location to build a supercenter across the street.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
But isn't there a don-side? Wouldn't we be encouraging them to build lots even larger?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
ilikefish0 said:
Or, failing that, one could always use the empty wal-mart parking lot that is left when Wal-mart abandons a location to build a supercenter across the street.
-To-shay, if that makes any sense.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
rollerblading
skateboarding
kite flying
dog park
cat park
model airplane runway
model rocket launch pad
track
petting zoo
community garden
fireworks
bonfire
outdoor gym
carnival
city street maintenance person training
train rides (kiddy trains)
drug trafficking
Park and Ride
rally point
group pictures

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Jessie-J you forgot: Go-Kart race track(s)*....

*saw it once in Temuco inside an abandoned anchor store at a decaying mall. :p