• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Acceptable to Wear In Public or Not

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yesterday while at a meeting, a guy who was at a different table was wearing dress pants, and REO Speedwagon T-shirt, and foam flip flops. Apparently he is a GIS tech someplace.

While at lunch, I noticed a college aged female who was wearing a reddish baggy t-shirt.... and shorts... I think. The reason I say I think is that her shirt was long enough that it covered any evidence of shorts. For all I know she should have been in a bathing suit... or less.

Last week, I went to a meeting on a local college campus and there was a guy who was wearing a pair of plaid fleece pajama bottoms a t-shirt and slip on canvas shoes sitting on a bench in front of the business college with a book about international marketing.

And of course there is the idea of yoga pants. Yesterday on my way home I stopped into a national chain drug store and there was a 20-something woman with a child wearing extremely tight yoga pants and a sweater with those fuzzy boot things on her feet... and it was 90 degrees outside.

In each of these cases, I had to ask my self if what they were wearing was appropriate or not. I also questioned if the style of clothing they had on was out of the norm for them or not. The kid on a college campus with the pajamas, sure. We most of us have seen that in college, but it was mid afternoon and he did not look like he was in a hurry to get anywhere. The young woman with the long t-shirt on would be acceptable if she was coming from the beach... but it is raining out today and this chain restaurant is not near any swimming places. The young mother in the yoga pants is strange because this would be something more typical of the winter months... and she had makeup on so I am guessing that she did not just come from yoga.

However, there is zero understanding of the guy in the REO Speedwagon shirt with dress pants other than he is trying to be an eccentric hipster/anti-hipster type.

What are your thoughts on the clothing arrangements noted above. Do you have any examples where one's clothing choices might be questionable given the context of the situation?

AG74683

Cyburbian
The Know-It-All girl at work wore those weird glove shoes yesterday. The ones where the toes go into their own individual slots. I was incredibly freaked out by that.

Gedunker

Moderating
I have come to accept that pretty much everything is acceptable these days, at least to someone out there, and there's nothing for me to say about it.

I do roll my eyes, however, (and many of you ladies will no doubt be angry with me for saying this ...) that open toe/open heel shoes are not appropriate in the workplace. Sorry, I just can't get there.:thinking:

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Yesterday while at a meeting, a guy who was at a different table was wearing dress pants, and REO Speedwagon T-shirt, and foam flip flops.
I'm really having trouble picturing this ensemble on a person. . . does not compute. . .

(not to question that it didn't happen, but that my brain can't envision it)

I do roll my eyes, however, (and many of you ladies will no doubt be angry with me for saying this ...) that open toe/open heel shoes are not appropriate in the workplace. Sorry, I just can't get there.:thinking:
Yep, I'm rolling my eyes at you. o_O Flip flops in the workplace, sure! But a cute pair of sandals or open toe heels during the summer. . . great!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I don't like to dress down for work - I am a dress and pumps person - even on dress down Friday, I'll wear a more casual dress with relaxed flats - maybe it's 12 years of Catholic schools but I think when you are meeting with the public, professionals and elected officials, you should present yourself professionally in respect to them and yourself - also be short and heavy and middle aged, dresses just feel less frumpy for me so some of it is a feeling of self esteem

but I'm the end of the baby boomer generation so I know I am in the minority in the workplace now #getoffmylawn

I do think you get better treatment in stores, and by the TSA, if you pull yourself together a bit too

But I live on an island where you could walk by a Rockefeller descendant looking like an unmade bed as they come up here to blend in so whatever I suppose

kjel

Super Moderator
I have come to accept that pretty much everything is acceptable these days, at least to someone out there, and there's nothing for me to say about it.

Right there with you on anything goes.

I mostly wear closed toe/heel flats although on occasion I will wear sandals when it's really hot and my feet are swollen. My old city manager in SC had a no open toe shoe policy after a woman manged to roll over her toe with her desk chair. It was pretty ugly.

kms

Cyburbian
I work in a field where people work in the, um, field on active constructions sites. I always wear a decent blouse or top. When I go to agency-wide training, I’m almost appalled by women who wear their dress camouflage t-shirts. I’ve noticed that his is slowly changing and women are wearing a little more professional attire. I also think that the men there should remove their ball caps.

I think it helps to look professional even if I’m in the mud.

Occasionally, I’ll wear flip flops to work in the summer.

I’ve seen photos of lp and I covet her wardrobe. 👗

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'm basically fashion autistic and rarely know the appropriate level of dress so I tend to err towards very plan clothing but slightly over dressed. Except when going to the auto parts or hardware store. There I tend towards the homeless vagabond with a heart of gold look.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

So these would not be permitted?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I don't like to dress down for work - I am a dress and pumps person - even on dress down Friday, I'll wear a more casual dress with relaxed flats - maybe it's 12 years of Catholic schools but I think when you are meeting with the public, professionals and elected officials, you should present yourself professionally in respect to them and yourself - also be short and heavy and middle aged, dresses just feel less frumpy for
This right here. I love my new gig but there are a few things that drive me crazy. I wear a shirt and tie often although I will admit to wearing a polo shirt as it continually gets hotter here in the south. But take today at city hall. Easily 75% of the people here are wearing t-shirts and jeans. T-shirts! I find that completely unacceptable. It's funny because my boss, THE boss, is a tie everyday kind of guy. But he allows this, or at least he doesn't say anything. If you're an inspector in the field I'm ok with jeans (although there are better choices, particularly in hot weather) but for office personnel, I don't think it's ever appropriate. I'm still a believer in dressing for success and looking professional if you interact with the public.

DVD

Cyburbian
I get away with Converse and a Hawaiian shirt with some decent khakis.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
This place is definitely more casual than other places I've worked. Today, I am wearing jeans and a department-issued/branded shirt, with closed toed shoes.

The jeans are clean, no holes, no sparkly stuff on the butt, and hems are not frayed. Shirt is clean, casual enough to not need ironing, and comfy. Shoes are patterned casual sneakers.

During the week, I'm business casual. Slacks/khakis, skirt, blouse or top & coat, dress: whatever the variety, there's no minis, no cleavage, no skinny straps, no sleeveless, and no skintight. Shoes are seasonally appropriate - we are allowed to wear sandals, and I do, but for me they must match the outfit. Given that we're already hitting 90, sandals are a must. But no flip flops!! In the colder season, heavier footwear expected.

I can't stand leggings or yoga pants as work attire. Totally unprofessional unless you are a yoga instructor teaching a class.

kjel

Super Moderator
I work in a field where people work in the, um, field on active constructions sites. I always wear a decent blouse or top. When I go to agency-wide training, I’m almost appalled by women who wear their dress camouflage t-shirts. I’ve noticed that his is slowly changing and women are wearing a little more professional attire. I also think that the men there should remove their ball caps.

I think it helps to look professional even if I’m in the mud.

Occasionally, I’ll wear flip flops to work in the summer.

I’ve seen photos of lp and I covet her wardrobe. 👗
I spend time on construction sites as well. Like you pointed out, a nice blouse or top even with jeans makes you look more professional looking even in the field.

Reactions: kms

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I get away with Converse and a Hawaiian shirt with some decent khakis.
This is pretty much my office. I can also probably get away with a pair of jeans, shirt, and a nice zip up hoodie.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Nothing fazes me at this point, but no pajamas, yoga pants, flip flops or logo t-shirts have shown up at my office and I'm good with that. Have never seeen any evidence of a lack of professionalism in my peopel (dress or demeanor).

We are in a pretty "dressed down" part of the country but I do throw on a jacket when I go before the electeds and I don't do sneakers "(even the brown "outdoorsy" looking sort) in the office. I get away with decent jeans a lot of the time, but again not for night meetings with appointeds/electeds.

I couldn't care less what people decide to wear or not wear out in public, to the store, whatever.

zman

Cyburbian
PROFESSIONALISM

A job I had long ago, I had to implement a dress code because I had a staff planner torn cargo pants, sneakers, and a ragged hoodie-- every day. He got mistaken for a homeless guy in the main hallway and had the cops called on him in the city hall parking lot (people thought he was casing cars, when he was just out for a smoke). Pretty bad, and he gave me a ton of passive crap about it after I enforced it.

My last job, in economic development, I sent a young employee home for wearing shorts to work. We get over 100 degree for most of the summer, but in Econ Dev, we repeatedly had realtors and developers coming in and I wanted to maintain an environment of professional dress. No matter the temperature, pants must be worn.
There was one time I had nice jeans and a plain shirt (no collar) on, and had two media inquiries in a day to go on camera. Never again.

My current job has an old school dress code using terms such as "no denim". I am fine with that.

As for the general public, no pajamas, no sweat pants, i'm luke warm on flip flops (not at work though). People are too casual and too comfortable. I tend to dress up a bit... especially when I fly for business.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
My first job had a dress code that stated "men may wear a jacket or a sweater..." It had not been updated in a very long time but was always trotted out when somebody violated the "no spandex" rule it also contained. No men in that office ever wore a jacket or sweater as the building was hot and you could even buy polo shirts with the municipality logo on them which were deemed always OK. The dress code was entirely enforced by the ancient denizen of the Front Office secretarial staff and everybody was afraid of her.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Yesterday while at a meeting, a guy who was at a different table was wearing dress pants, and REO Speedwagon T-shirt, and foam flip flops. Apparently he is a GIS tech someplace.
I can imagine, and have seen people wearing all of the other outfits you mentioned, but I cannot even envision seeing that guy. If you meant something like Dickies pants, which are not dress pants, then I can better imagine that as an outfit choice (but with different shoes). But foam flip flops, a band tee shirt, and slacks is an odd combination.

PROFESSIONALISM

A job I had long ago, I had to implement a dress code because I had a staff planner torn cargo pants, sneakers, and a ragged hoodie-- every day. He got mistaken for a homeless guy in the main hallway and had the cops called on him in the city hall parking lot (people thought he was casing cars, when he was just out for a smoke). Pretty bad, and he gave me a ton of passive crap about it after I enforced it.
That is pretty terrible. You would think that someone working in a professional environment would be more self-aware of their presentation, but sadly that is not always the case.

My current job has an old school dress code using terms such as "no denim". I am fine with that.
At a former place of work, the director had a no-denim rule. When the new director took over, his first rule change was allowing denim for casual Fridays. Our dress code at City Hall is pretty relaxed, so denim is allowed, and a few people (counter technicians, IT people) tend to wear jeans most of the time. I personally wear slacks Monday through Thursday, but everyone wears jeans on Fridays.

Planit

Cyburbian
  • One previous public job required a shirt & tie everyday, regardless of day or weather.
  • Private sector job was casual if you didn't have appointments - casual meant jeans & polo were okay, but nothing was said if you wore a nice t-shirt. If we had a meeting traveled to clients it must be shirt & tie or company logoed dress shirt.
  • This job is slacks & polo okay. Council or public meeting its a shirt, tie & jacket.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I can imagine, and have seen people wearing all of the other outfits you mentioned, but I cannot even envision seeing that guy. If you meant something like Dickies pants, which are not dress pants, then I can better imagine that as an outfit choice (but with different shoes). But foam flip flops, a band tee shirt, and slacks is an odd combination.
These were serious looking dress pants that looked like they where the lower half of a suit or something.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
I love dressing up for work and its extended into my personal fashion too. Fred Perry is my favorite brand and I also love Members Only and Ben Sherman too. I tend not to wear jeans or sneakers to work, unless I'm working entirly in the field, especially on jobsites or in Public Housing, as was the case with my last job, so I just did me when in the field, business attire in the office.

I frequently shop at thrift stores in non hip areas where I thrive and feel at home in (like Newark, Newburgh NY, Bridgeport CT, Bronx etc) where all the best old shit can be found as opposed to "vintage" stores in gentrified Brooklyn or Manhattan (where I feel like a stranger in my own city) I am trying to reimagine my personal style to be as 1980s as possible, especially after I move back to Montréal, and I enjoy looking like a Reagan era office boi, especially with elbow pad blazers.

My waist size is 38, and I wear a L-XL shirt if any Male old timers have any pre-1995 clothing they'd like to get rid of!

As comfortable as I am on the weekends in tight black skinny Levi's, steel toe docs and my Jean jacket with a Faith backpatch (Washington, DC HC Punk from 1983) + Clash/Local NYC band buttons on it, I wouldn't dress like that for work unless I ran my own shop and had no external meetings!

Idk maybe I'm an old soul, but I like to present well.

Bubba

Cyburbian
My waist size is 38, and I wear a L-XL shirt if any Male old timers have any pre-1995 clothing they'd like to get rid of!
I did a quick mental inventory of my wardrobe ('89 - '96 were my college and grad school years) - I got nothing for you, kid. I could probably locate part of an Atlanta Braves '91 National League Champions t-shirt that Mrs. Bubba still uses as a dust rag, but that's it...