• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

ACLU, You?

To join the ACLU or not?

• Yes - I've got the card, you should too.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes - How do I get an invitation?

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Yes - That ACLU card is a chick magnet.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • No - John Ascroft will find out!

• No - We have too many freedoms, so what if we lose a few?

• No - Join the NRA instead.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Other - Explanation offered below

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Cardinal

Cyburbian
So now that I am back at home I picked up a week's worth of credit card offers (8) and my other mail. Along with a couple magazines, bills, and such, there is an invitation to become "a card-carrying member of the ACLU." If Donk can let Cyburbia decide who he should vote for, I figure this is fair fodder as well. Waddya think?

The Irish One

when the aclu decided to defend the KKK's ambition's to join the adopt a highway program -I knew things had gotten out of hand.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I'll second what the Irish One says. I like a lot of things the ACLU believes in - but once in a while they make me wonder what the hell they're thinking. The KKK case is the best example. I've heard about them getting involved in cases related to gun possession and smoking as well - two areas where they probably offend their core membership.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I actually admire the fact that the ACLU took on cases, like smoking and confederate flag issues, that may have been unpopular with many people in their core membership. It shows that they have a true dedication to the civil rights of all people, not just the ones we like. I say join up.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Joining the ACLU seems to be a waste of money to me. About twice a year I get the membership info in the mail. I am not sure who sold them my name but I am guessing it is either the APA or the Columbia House DVD club.

At times, it seems as if the ACLU is confused about their missions and goals. What benefit would you get out of membership other than funding their legal department?

Mod note: I added another option.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
This sounds so Republican...

The ACLU has no mission or goal other than protecting civil liberties at all costs. I think they've lost sight of basic family and societal values at the expense of protecting civil liberties.

I agree with maybe 60% of the cases that I hear about that the ACLU takes on, but the remaining 40% boggle my mind. They serve a valuable need, but they'll never get my money.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
They're too over the top. I'm pretty liberal, but they make me cringe at times. No way would I give them money!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have to admit that I admire the ACLU for being willing to take a stand for people's rights, regardless of their message. It takes a lot of guts to defend the KKK or the Nazis. My guess is that nobody in the ACLU is supportive of the message that groups like this want to spread. Still, they are willing to step forward and fight for the right to say it. We do need people like that.

The Irish One

basic family and societal values at the expense of protecting civil liberties.
If they were more focused on real victims -like families, children and elderly or business owners, farmers, consumers, then perceptions would be different.

The ACLU needs to be way more discriminating in the case load it chooses.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
I have to admit that I admire the ACLU for being willing to take a stand for people's rights, regardless of their message. It takes a lot of guts to defend the KKK or the Nazis. My guess is that nobody in the ACLU is supportive of the message that groups like this want to spread. Still, they are willing to step forward and fight for the right to say it. We do need people like that.
No question we need people like the ACLU. But I just wish they'd accept maybe a little responsibility for the ramifications of their actions. It's hard to defend the ACLU if they're always defending objectionable people or issues.

el Guapo

Capitalist
How I gave money to the ACLU

Back when I was in the military, they had a charity-giving program called the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC). The officers liked to have everyone in their unit donate so they could get “100% Unit Member CFC Participation” on their little job performance evaluations. Thus, the routine would go like this. There will be a 700-mile hike with M-60 and full battle load this Saturday morning at 2:00 am. Those members wishing to donate to the CFC this year will be given a pass for Saturday’s Fun Hike. In my 13-man unit, I was the only one that refused to donate to the CFC. First, my supervisor, then my First Sergeant, and then my Commander called me in the office and told me how it was my duty to donate to charity and this was a most wonderful opportunity to share my blessings with others. Why I could even choose among something like two hundred charities to donate towards.

The suggested donation was a minimum of $24 a year. I explained that I had a wife and a child and I was living on $12,000 a year in an off post hellhole. After I paid for uniforms, transportation, and housing - because there was not any available housing on post - I was the one that they should be giving a check to and not the freaking CFC, if they felt so generous. I pointed out that the nation consider me well below the poverty line and that technically I qualified for Food Stamps and WIC. If I had decided to apply I would be elegable for several other poverty programs as well. That failed to impress.

Finally, they said we will see you Saturday morning for the fun run. I pointed out that the post SOP required a minimum of four runners for a unit run on post. Safety and all. I told them I looked forward to seeing them there also. I was in the best shape of the four of us. At this point, I was no longer looking to be promoted further in my career.

They finally said they give me credit for being stubborn and if I donated, I would get to go to some special classes on computers, which I really wanted to attend. I was bribed by officers and non-comissioned officers. I accepted the bribe and donated $12 to the ACLU, and $12 to the John Birch Society ( a legal CFC charity ). Thus, my money acted like matter and antimatter, it met somewhere in the legal system and went pooof in a blinding flash of incongruity.

Technically, I have supported the ACLU.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Re: How I gave money to the ACLU

el Guapo said:
Technically, I have supported the ACLU.
Just think, the ACLU would have fought for your right to not give to charity. Although that would be an interesting case. I can see the headline:

"ACLU sues military over forced donation to the ACLU."

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: How I gave money to the ACLU

el Guapo said:
Back when I was in the military, they had a charity-giving program called the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC).
[SARCASM] Oh yeah, I really miss the B.S. I found in the Army. [/SARCASM]

I remember the CFC very well. I, too, was roped into paying. Don't get me wrong, I support several causes. But shouldn't the choice be mine, and why is it I can't choose to give directly, instead of the through a program where my bosses and the government get to monitor my contributions? This would be a good case for the ACLU.

Runner

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
when the aclu decided to defend the KKK's ambition's to join the adopt a highway program -I knew things had gotten out of hand.
Sometimes common sense just has to kick in. But this appears to be something the ACLU just seems incapable of using.