• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Addictive Craft or Hobbies

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We all have hobbies that when we get going our crafts or hobbies, may clear our minds or make us so frustrated we want to throw things. But to matter what it is, we always seem to come back. And many of us have several crafts or hobbies that when we are done, we are proud of our accomplishment and wish to share it with others.

For me, I love to rebuild cars, garden and landscape, and refinish wood furniture. (Pictures to come)

So I ask you, please share your hobbies or crafts that bring you some sort of pleasure.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I've recently discovered enjoyment in building fishing rods. I gave my favorite trout rod to my youngest son last night. The estranged and I also collected wine (I got it all in the settlement, about 11 cases, hehehe), and it's headed to Florida with me.

boiker

Cyburbian
My hobbies are: gardening, home improvements, computer upgrades W00T!!,
storm chasing and general weather observation, cooking, photography.

Gardening: I have 6 pepper plants and 8 tomato plants behind my garage.

Home Improvements: I and Mrs. Boiker have painted nearly every room in our new house, stripped wallpaper off other walls. Previously, I've rewired, re-plumbed, with the help of my licensed pipe fitting father in law.

Computer Upgrades: Just installed a 8x DVD +- R/RW. I'm way behind on my box though...512mb ram, 80GB hd, AMD 1.5XP. my computer is about 2 years behind upgrades...that's 40 years in computer years.

Storm Chasing: Recently posted in "Tornados in Gedunkerland" my latest mini-adventure. But if there are storms, blizzards, floods, etc. nearby. I'm there to observe, photograph, and if need be, report.

Cooking: I don't think there is anything that Mrs. B and I like to do more than experiement with food. We google our dinner often.

Photography: I dabble in the art a bit. Mostly I take photos of what I see when I drive, houses, buildings, scenery, my family, etc. I'm starting to get it all figured out.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Am an avid gardener (obsessed with square foot gardening technique), have an obsessive/compulsive relationship with computer games, am a master homebrewer....I cut down trees. I eat my lunch. I go to the lavatory. On Wednesdays I go shoping and have butter scones for tea.

boiker

Cyburbian
Maister said:
Am an avid gardener (obsessed with square foot gardening technique), have an obsessive/compulsive relationship with computer games, am a master homebrewer....I cut down trees. I eat my lunch. I go to the lavatory. On Wednesdays I go shoping and have butter scones for tea.
we'll its obvious that "you're ok"

otterpop

Cyburbian
I'm a river rat. So my hobbies include canoeing and rafting, which also includes raft repair, off-season maintenance and repair of paddles, life jackets, my raft (Patches), etc. There is also off-season research of new river sections to try, wish-listing of new stuff (that my wife won't let me buy) etc.

I also like gardening and am trying to get more adept at home repair.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Hobbies I've been addicted to:

Baseball cards (I have every Topps complete set from 1977). I've got enough cards in my basement to open a store.

Genealogy (I have information on over 15,000 direct and indirect relatives).

Records (Collection gets bigger everyday).

Books (Collection gets bigger every other week).

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Maister said:

See what I get to deal with on a regular basis! The scary thing is he is ALWAYS like this!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I love to oil paint but haven't had time since the little 'dunkers were born. Someday I'll get back to that, I hope. An extension of painting, IMO, is photography and I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new Nikon digital 35mm TTL, from my extensive collection of Canon (film) equipment. Digital imagery is just so cool.

Like boiker, I am nearing completion of an old house remodel -- in my case the never-ending kitchen project. A little more finish carpentry and wiring inside then I start installing new poplar wood weatherboard and 5/4 poplar window and door case. I am pretty proud of the work I've done on this, a much larger job than I ever thought I could handle. So much so, that I'm contemplating building my replacement garage in a couple years (or sooner if the old barn collapses).

I'd like to learn how to play the banjo. 8-!

BKM

Cyburbian
Let's see:

Bicycling can be obsessive, although I'm not in as good a shape this year as I was a few years ago.

City hiking-taking my pack of dogs on a five hour hike up and down the hills in obscure parts of San Francisco (Glen Park, Ingleside Terrace, and Miraloma Park?) is pretty obsessive. :(

Architectural photography-mainly when I'm travelling, and haven't really done too much of that lately.

Collecting glass and pottery-dangerously expensive :)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Reading. 99% fiction, and I'm never without a stack of books close by. I become very unhappy if I can't read something fun every day.

In the summer, I absolutely must be at the beach every possible day I can.

I like to cook and try new recipes as often as possible.

No artsy/craftsy stuff for me.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Photography - have a Nikon FM (manual) with a 28mm, 50mm, and 75-150mm
Dreaming of a Digital Nikon D70 :)

Helping maintain Jersey Beach House.

Bicycling, but have not bought a new bike in 15 yrs. :-0

BKM said:
Collecting glass - dangerously expensive.
Driving back to NJ, I have stopped at Blenko Glass in Milton, WV, just off of I-64, I have given some pieces as gifts $$.
Their website: http://www.blenkoglass.com/index.html

Spring/Summer/Fall - Gardening - My gardens, however, are a hodge podge - I find different perennials I like and sometimes they don't quite match what I have, but I really like the plant, so I make it fit. And we just put our veggie garden in this weekend.

Winter - Like 8 million other women, I'm a scrapbooking addict. Also dabble in yarn crafts like crocheting and knitting.

OT:
Boiker - is your avatar from Aqua Teen Hunger Force!?!?!

boiker

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
OT:
Boiker - is your avatar from Aqua Teen Hunger Force!?!?!
That it is :)

also, Gedunker, I am planning on repairing/refinishing each of my old windows this year.. Pull them out, pull them apart, reassemble, reglaze, repaint, fix the weights, wax the sash to ensure smooth operation, and done! I think it's going to be a window a summer operation for the first 2...then I'll have the hang of it.

I've only got...hmm...27 windows to worry about.

donk

Cyburbian
You all know about me and cycling.

I also dabble in photography. Gedunker, you looking to dispose of any of you canon lenses(FD mount)? I've got a super cool 17mm and a super cool macro lens as well. Looking for some telephot or zooms.

I am also a book junie and when money permits a music junkie.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNA said:
Driving back to NJ, I have stopped at Blenko Glass in Milton, WV, just off of I-64, I have given some pieces as gifts $$.
Their website: http://www.blenkoglass.com/index.html
Slightly [OT] JNA, Have you ever stopped at Zimmerman Art Glass in Corydon? [/OT]

donk I do have FD mounts, all canons, with an 80-210mm zoom and an 18mm--55mm macro, along with wide-angle and standard 50mm. If I do buy the Nikon you've got first dibs.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Reading. 99% fiction, and I'm never without a stack of books close by.
Yep, that's me !!!! EBAY is dangerous in this regard. I read 1 and purchase 2, the stack gets bigger.

ludes98

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Collecting glass-dangerously expensive :)
Kosta Boda, Glass Eye Studio, and more! Scared for children to ever see it, let alone touch it.

Woodworking, car detailing, home improvement, computers, and reading round out the list for me.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Making Beer!

Odd music, outdoorsy stuff, other things to boot.

Why does work have to intrude on the important things in life?! :-D

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I wouldn't call my home renovation projects a hobby...more like an affliction. ALMOST finished the kitchen - the project got delayed a bit as we punched a pass-thru into the dining room. Just have the trim work to do and it's all done...finally.

Mrs. Tranplanner and I have discovered the joys of naturalized/native plant gardening. We're letting most of the yard just grow this year, to see what pops up. Also planted a nice veggie garden.

I've got a bike sitting in the garage that I want to fix up and start riding...

I'm a huge train fan, but haven't done much with this since we bought the house. The model railway is still packed away in boxes.

Reading, sketching and urban exploring round out the list.

Oh, and scotch. Can't forget the scotch - now that's what I call a hobby :-b

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am an avid record/cd collector. I am not as bad as I used to be (weekly trips to a few record stores) because I moved away from the area in which they are located. I will get on a roll and search for certain bands and become obsessed with finding all of their releases and rareities. My collection is mainly older Metal, 50s and 60s rock, and punk/new wave. I also collect bootlegs of bands that I like - especially Radiohead (although a recent computer crash wiped out like 12 live concert bootlegs).

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Playing guitar. I had an old beater guitar a few years ago that my cousin gave me. I taught myself a couple of things on it, then lent it to someone and never saw it again. Then two and a half years ago I got a brand new one for Christmas (thanks baby!) and continued with the self-teaching (and a few lessons this past Christmas as a gift). I can get what almost sounds like music out of it now.

It is rewarding, though, when I try to learn something to play and I can notice myself getting it down better over time.

I sometimes rehab old furniture or make minor changes to existing furniture. For example, I changed out all the knobs on the bedroom set my sister gave me. I like the furniture but not the hardware. And my "new" bed is really my youngest son's old bed, but painted white and modified slightly to accept hubby's trundle underneath until he gets the heck out of my life.

I am also a bargain hunter and the hardware I put on my sister's old furniture was gotten at steep discount. :-D I put between $200 and $300 worth of harware on the dressers at the homeless shelter. I paid between $20 and $30 for it. :)

I also like rearranging furniture and decorating "on the cheap", using creativity. Heck, even if I have money to spend on it, the creative part is the real draw. Rearranging the furniture makes my husband and kids nuts. But my husband told me at some point that he has become more tolerant of it since he realized it is something I do when I am under stress and it calms me. I guess having the house rearranged "four times per day" (according to my biggest critics: hubby and eldest son :-D ) is worth the price if it means I don't hit the ceiling when I am upset. :-}

otterpop

Cyburbian
Today I was out doing a site visit and it made me recall another sort-of hobby. Beginning this year every time I got on a site visit I pick up a rock and take it home with me. I am making a border for the strawberry patch in our yard.

BKM

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I am an avid record/cd collector. I am not as bad as I used to be (weekly trips to a few record stores) because I moved away from the area in which they are located. I will get on a roll and search for certain bands and become obsessed with finding all of their releases and rareities. My collection is mainly older Metal, 50s and 60s rock, and punk/new wave. I also collect bootlegs of bands that I like - especially Radiohead (although a recent computer crash wiped out like 12 live concert bootlegs).
I have a dangerously large collection of CDs. Definitely an addiction of mine.

I mostly collect stranger European metal bands (gothic, doom-metal, some black metal), although I also have Radiohead's OK Computer, Modest Mouse, and the like.

Time for another purging of CDs!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Gardening (bet you didn't know that ;) ), photography and woodworking are my hobbies. I have begun to build a pretty nice collection of art, and I still have a sizable coin collection, though I have not collected anything new in a few years.

JNL

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Reading. 99% fiction, and I'm never without a stack of books close by. .
Me too :)

Recently finished my first wood-work project and am picking up the next one this weekend.

Body piercing can be addictive o:)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
Today I was out doing a site visit and it made me recall another sort-of hobby. Beginning this year every time I got on a site visit I pick up a rock and take it home with me. I am making a border for the strawberry patch in our yard.
Great idea! Too bad for me; the only rocks in FL are at Home Depot...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Cardinal said:
... I still have a sizable coin collection ...
This might seem / sound weird but I still have my coin collection from when I put it together for earning that Boy Scout Merit Badge in the early 70's.

I have been acquiring the state quarters and saving them in a map folio.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
JNA said:
This might seem / sound weird but I still have my coin collection from when I put it together for earning that Boy Scout Merit Badge in the early 70's.
I had an incredibly cool matchbook collection that my mom started in the '40's and I had continued. But the ex- took it. $#%%$#&&*@#$$$

donk

Cyburbian
I forgot about my coin collection from when I was kid. My grandmother travelled extensively and always brought me back coins, plus I spent some of my birthday and allowance money on other coins. I wonder what it is worth today, may have to call the parents to dig it out.

I also forgot about my comic collection. I think it will be ending soon as my main read is now over and I don't have a shop nearby or one that will lay them away for me.

On the art class thing. I'd love to collect it, but know I'd break it. Do you have any suggestions for neat stuff to get started with?

TP, PB and I went to a really cool gallery in TO and all I wanted to do was touch the stuff. I think when I get back on my feet and have some vacation time I migh take a glassblowing course.

I also have a few pieces of original comic book art from HATE and Minimum Wage. I'd love to get a cerebus page also.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
donk said:
On the art class thing. I'd love to collect it, but know I'd break it. Do you have any suggestions for neat stuff to get started with?
How about bronze instead? I keep an eye on Ebay for pieces by Carl Sorensen. He worked for Tiffany during and after the arts & crafts period. I have a few pieces and love both the shapes and patina.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I like to garden, refinish furniture, read, play piano, crafty stuff, home improvement (painting, decorating, etc.)

I hardly have time anymore :(

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
My main hobby is conservation work on a couple of local nature reserve - I'd just trying to get paid for it, too :-D

My second major time stealer is computer games - I spend around 10 hours a week playing Dark Ages of Camelot, but my guild seems to be dying out as they shift over to another game, so it may be time to find a new game or just a new guild.

Then comes genealogy, it fluctuates, depending on how easy it is to get hold of information. If the data is easy to get my hands on, I work on it every spare moment, if not, I ignore it until I come up with a way to break down the brick wall.

Finally, books and movies - entertain meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! now! :-D

BKM

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
How about bronze instead? I keep an eye on Ebay for pieces by Carl Sorensen. He worked for Tiffany during and after the arts & crafts period. I have a few pieces and love both the shapes and patina.
Sounds really cool! My southwestern pottery hobby has expanded slightly into a more general colleciton of folk art (as well as art glass). I have a pair of bronze guardian dogs ("Fou Dogs") from Thailand on layaway (NO MORE CREDIT CARDS!!!) I am pretty eclectic, although I am trying to keep it focused.

jestes

Cyburbian
I am not particularly artistic so that is pretty much out for me. Most of my "hobbies" tend to center around things that my sons and I enjoy doing together including cycling, swimming, playing video games, watching movies. I do like to keep in shape so I work out on a pretty regular basis. Probably the most artistic thing that I enjoy is photography. I started with photography at work when our Public Relations Director resigned and the job of taking pictures for the County sort of fell to me. I particularly enjoy taking pictures of streetscapes and natural scenes.

In years past I really enjoyed furniture refinishing. The process of restoring an old piece of furniture has a real relaxing quality to it. Not to mention the benefit of getting good quality furniture on the cheap.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Most of you already know about my number one hobby (stress relief tool).....the fake (Amish) city I have been building since Lyndon Johnson was president.

I have been collecting music since the beginning of time.....I love almost all types of music. Collection examples: Wilco, Beach Boys, Jets, Beatles, Russian opera, "Pictures at An Exhibition" (anybody hear part of it on a tv commercial?), southern rock, hard rock, big band, Dylan, the Donnas, Mellencamp, Detroit soul, Chicago soul, classical, Radiohead (love "OK Computer"), Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys, horn-based rock and roll, Nugent, MC5, Lou Reed, etc. etc....

Old movies are always on.....my wife hates 'em. I have a passion to watch them, look for "famous scenes", read about them.

For the next three weeks my basketball hobby will continue, as a gang of us from work get together and play. However, my upcoming bone marrow transplant will put a halt to that hobby for about a year or so.

I love to read, everything from fantasy novels to who-done-its. I read a lot of history books (especially upper Michigan history). My DeLorme map book (gazetteers) collection gets bigger all the time. I can sit for hours and ponder each page, checking elevation changes, looking for obvious sprawl (easy to see).

Political journals (such as REASON) also fill my time. (Go ahead, bash me for being somewhat of a Libertarian.....).

I bought a $200 kite a couple years ago and I have to learn how to fly it in such a manner that it doesn't keep crashing. I will do that when my health returns.

My bike is a wonderful very-lightweight Myata 12-speed, purchased in the early 1980's. I have thousands of miles on it and I plan to do more. I'm a big guy and I can just about climb a wall with the gearbox on that bike.

And I consider travel a top hobby.....just haven't been able lately. I will return to the road next year and get some dust on my traveling shoes. (U.P.....here I come!)

Last but not least.....camping and fishing.....sitting by a campfire, Rolling Rock in my hand......fresh-caught fish frying.....clear sky with billions of stars to count.

I can't wait to get back to health, work a few more years, retire.....and do all of the above all of the time.

Bear With The Long Hobby List

Glasshouse

Cyburbian
Hobbie's uh?

Pool would have to be the first, I do that rather well. That along with ice cold beverages from the ol tap.

I love hand building (not kits) glass rooms. Built a crap load of them in the 80's, not much demand now though. Kits are ok, I just really like the hands on aspect.

Building in general, ceramic tile, hardwood floors...Just about all of it...Hell I even like roofing from time to time. Guess I'm a little nuts.

I used to like to fish but I had to sell my bass boat so my second wife wouldn't try to use it against me in the big D. I always told her she would go before the boat did.......and it went just like that.

I guess my PC would classify.....I'm here now.

Bob

Mark

Cyburbian
Fly fishing for trout and youth hockey coaching, although four kidz means you work then get home and cook, clean, maintain and repair for the homestead.

But, we are taking the kidz on our annual camping trip. Five or six kidz camping is alot of work, but I should get some trout fishing in on the North Branch of the Ausable and Manistee Rivers. Hoping to hit the Hex or Brown Drake hatches, I could use the latin names, I'm a geek. These mayflies hatch or mate at dusk, so it is a night fishing situation. Because aquatic insects are the food source for river trout, entomology is a hobby.

Also, taking my oldest daughter to Lake Placid for the 15/16 year-old USA Hockey National Development Camp in a few weeks. Our hockey passion consumes our family life, I have three other kidz who skate.