• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Adobe advice

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I will be upgrading my design/publishing software soon and plan to use Adobe products. So the question is, do I go with Page Maker or In Design? I need soething that will allow me to create attractive documents incorporating plenty of tables, graphs, photos, maps and technical diagrams along with text. Which of the two will be the most useful?

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I've never used In Design, but have been using PageMaker for years. It can do all the things you have listed and more. I can get you some PageMaker tips and hints from a workshop on presentation skills that I attended last year (specifically designed for planners, done by one of my former college professors, who duroing his presentation kept asking me how to do the PageMaker stuff on a PC...since he's a Mac guy). :)

Let me know, and I can make copies and mail it to you.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
My ex-girlfirend was an architecture grad student and she raved about In Design. She made her professional portfolio in In Design. She also told me all her fellow students also used that application for their portfolios. My impression is that In Design is a higher-end document creation application. It has more functions and is more sophisticated. If you already know Page Maker, then I would guess the learning curve to get comfortable with In Design would not be that steep. Conclusion: Go with In Design!

swm

What about QuarkXpress? It's an industry standard for printers, so if you're outsourcing your printing, consider file sharing issues. Though I'm sure many serious print shops will have all manner of software, some don't and their shop people aren't proficient in all of them. I guess check with your vendor, if it's an issue.

BTW I think Quark and Pagemaker are fairly similar, it's a matter of preference - haven't used InDesign though, sorry.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have not used In Design, but Page Maker is excellent. I haven't used it for work in a while, but once you get the hang of it, it is very powerful and can make some excellent, professional-loking documents.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Thanks for all the advice -- too late! I picked up the Adobe Design Studio a week+ back. It includes Photoshop, Illustrator and In Design. There is a bit of a learning curve in transitioning from Corel, but I've been able to adjust and figure things out. Corel used to be good when I started with it, but has really slipped against the competition. I have had all kinds of problems printing to .pdf files, among other things, so I needed to move on. Most of our printing is in-house or to the web, which means Quark was out. I also like the seamless integration of Illustrator and Photoshop.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
swm said:
What about QuarkXpress? It's an industry standard for printers, so if you're outsourcing your printing, consider file sharing issues. Though I'm sure many serious print shops will have all manner of software, some don't and their shop people aren't proficient in all of them. I guess check with your vendor, if it's an issue.
Quark rarely upgrades their software; it could be either a sign that the product is so good that it doesn't need upgrading, or that the program is being ignored and left to rot. Quarx XPress was sitting at 4.* for several years; 5.0 was released this year,

InDesign was intended to be a XPress beater by Adobe, and position PageMaker as a mid-level business tool to compete with Microsoft Publisher. PageMaker's last update brought it up to the level of XPress in the number of features. PageMaker is easier to use than Quark, but Quark is still the favorite of graphic designers. Microsoft Publisher is okay for administrative support staff, but it's very limited compared to the Adobe and Quark products.

Most service bureaus will support PageMaker, InDesign, and XPress. Some support Corel Ventura, and few support Microsoft Publisher.

My preference is for PageMaker, only because it's what I've used since the tiny monochrome Macintosh years.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
I ressurected this thread to see if anyone has anything new to say about InDesign. I "lost" my PageMaker disks and am considering a total upgrade since I need a PagerMaker-esque program...the Adobe design suite also has a few other perks that I like as well...but is it InDesign a good platform for print?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I did buy InDesign and have used it. In fact, the materials I designed with it won two awards. That said, I did find it a little difficult to get used to. Considering that you have experience with Adobe products, that may not be as difficult a transition for you.

It is a very good platform for print.

Dan said:
Quark rarely upgrades their software; it could be either a sign that the product is so good that it doesn't need upgrading, or that the program is being ignored and left to rot. Quarx XPress was sitting at 4.* for several years; 5.0 was released this year,
I've used Quark 4 and 5 fairly extensively. It's great at a few things, and unbeleivably annoying at others. Version 4 had the brilliant ability to not recover past one undo, with a bare scratch at a fix in version 5. Quite frankly, Quark is on its death bed as far as I'm concerned and should be avoided like the plague. I would go with In Design myself, because I like to have the added functionality to do pretty things if I want to.

I'm still trying hard to justify purchasing photoshop for the office. I'm making do with Corel PhotoPaint 11, but it is chaffing me hard. I enjoy CorelDraw immensely, but find the raster side of things far harder then they need to be.

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
I don't know...without rebar it won't meet the building code...oops, wrong adobe. Sorr. I gotta end this beer for breakfast routine.