• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

"Adopt-A-...." programs

i'm interested in learning more about City Beautification programs such as "Adopt-A-Highway" and the like.

first of all, is there an official term for such programs?

does your City/town/municipality have any such programs?

do they work?

There is no more visible admission of the incompetence of public property than adoption programs. They just flat out admit they can't take care of the property by asking you to take care of it for them.

jaws said:
There is no more visible admission of the incompetence of public property than adoption programs. They just flat out admit they can't take care of the property by asking you to take care of it for them.
That may be partly true, but it also transfers the cost of maintaining the property (which is expensive on a marginal cost basis, because they are often in hard to reach areas on a municipal area).

Plus it helps give the city's charitable organizations some outlet.

I remember once when my Uncle from New Zealand was up visiting us in Canada, he commented on how much he liked the idea of Adopt-A-Roads, and thought that they did a good job of keeping roadsides clean.

Yorke790 said:
That may be partly true, but it also transfers the cost of maintaining the property (which is expensive on a marginal cost basis, because they are often in hard to reach areas on a municipal area).
So what you're saying is that the government is externalizing the cost onto the population. ;-)

It is a classic case of externalization. My city has an adopt a road program and as far as I can tell they work well. The name of the "adoptive" organization is posted prominantly on the street so if they want to maintain thier image they take care of the street.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
We have groups that ASK if they can adopt something, so we see it as giving the charitable organization what it wants and the City saving money on maintenance.