• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Adventures

Perry Norton

Cyburbian Emeritus
Back again. A daughter and two sons, ages 12 and 14, were
here for a week. We took them around to various eye-ventures
in town, but I think they'll remember the swimming poll
the most.

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Welcome back Perry. Young people that age are a real treat.
I have one grandson in that range.
If it is so hot back East, I can imagine the heat in the Southwest.
I am still on cloud nine about our trip to England.
It really did feel like going back home in some respects, and I hope we can get back there again and meet more wonderful people, and learn more about the Island and its people and history. The planning seems very good as well, for the most part, and people seem to accept planning--earlier

Perry Norton

Cyburbian Emeritus
Let's see - are you going to Britain next week or the
week after. I don't blame you about people and
places, they're --- well, they're nice. Of course they
think differently, as you have noted, about government
and noblesse oblige than do folks in our neighborhoods.
Still, we have Volunteering, and I think that's tops,
taken anywhere, doing good. I should write it up sometime, in an article about our superior middle class.

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Yes Perry, write up Volunteerism. It can be a vital force.
And truly, volunteering reaps great benefits, including a really solid feeling for those who do it.
And with regard to classes, I didn't have time this time in England to probe into the class situation. Maybe it was because I traveled with only jeans and shorts, and I heard there were some restaurants (not many) where a coat and tie were required.
But at the risk of repeating myself, virtually everyone we met was friendly and helpful. Not only in the rural Cornwall area, but in London, the largest city in Europe.
Even jammed together in the subways (called "the tubes") I had some great conversations.
As a planner, I had great public transit experiences, from the famed #11 double-decker bus in central London to double deckers on narrow rural roads. Also the subways and very fine trains.
Cheerio
Earl

Perry Norton

Cyburbian Emeritus
Earl has encouraged me to write something on volunteerism,
and I'll do it, ranging from the Docents of the Arizona
Sonora Desert Museum to the thousands upon thousands of
individuals who give hours of time as members of the
planning commission. It will take me time to look up all
I want to cover. The URL for this will be:
http://www.cyburbia.org/perry/ You might want to type in
this connection in advance. I'll keep you posted as to when
I'll have something ready.

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Thanks for doing this Perry. I'll be looking forward to your Volunteerism article. You might also consider sending it to APA to be published on their website.
Earl