• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Advice regarding a job and for AICP

Vasanth

Hai

I am going through this dilemma situation now...I have been called for this interview (personally) for a position of Drafting/Graphics Technician with a city's planning department....this position is similar to GIS Analyst position but not completely similar as I should have knowledge of various planning aspects..and this position is in Planning Dept.

My question is that

Is this kind of position eligible to count as a experience for my AICP certification after 2 years..?

As I'll be getting my Masters Degree in Planning sooooooon.

I just wanna make sure that this job will add to to my professional development.......otherwise I would choose to not take this job.

Itz critical 4 me to decide this now (interview stage) itself, coz I've to spend lot of money to travel and other expenses. As I live entirely in different part of US from the Job location and have to fly.

I appreciate quick responses as I just have 1 day ...infact 20 hours only...to decide.

Thanking you very much

Vasanth

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I think it will really depend on the job. Will you be using drafying skills to draw or revise site plans? will you be using graphic skills to illustrate planning documents? These are questions you need to ask of the employer to determine if it may determine your eligibility for AICP. More importantly, though, is this what you want to be doing? A majority of planners do just fine without letters after their name. Don't trap yourself in a job you don't like just to become eligible a little faster, and don't pass on a job you would enjoy because you may have to wait a while longer for certification.

el Guapo

Capitalist
What Cardinal said and..

It sounds as relevant to AICP as the grantwriter positions many planners find themselves filling. I imagine it is all in how you write it up. The AICP folks will review your application and let you know their position on it's eligability. The key is to learn as much as you can while in the job. Good luck and go get it.

Vasanth

Hey Guys

Thank U very much and really appreciate 4 u'r quick responses.

Your thoughts have given me ideas in the way I should think,

I like the job, seeing that I'll be dealing with application of technology for planning and since I'll be working in Planning dept....I will be generating maps and graphical stuff for various planning documents and will affect decision making....

I am also glad to know that this position sounds eligible 4 AICP also......and I also agree to your view that one should go for the job one likes ,,,,

Thank U again..I feel better now

Belle

Cyburbian
I know it's a little late, but...

If you get an offer for a job you even think you MIGHT like, I highly recommend taking it.

Entry-level positions seem few and far between, and now most are requiring 1-2 years of experience. A friend of mine has been job-hunting for a few months with few responses--not very encouraging.

In this market, having a job, even an uneventful one, is probably better than not, and it doesn't look like it's getting better--several people on this board have indicated their departments are experiencing cuts, meaning more experienced planners in this tight market.

That said, good luck with everything, including finishing the degree!