• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Affordable housing and mixed income developments

Michele Zone

BANNED
I found this article via a tweet with the following quote:

"Whereas subsidized mixed-income units require wealth redistribution for viability, naturally affordable units expand the tax base as more people can support themselves without public aid."

Gedunker

Moderating
:snip:

"Whereas subsidized mixed-income units require wealth redistribution for viability, naturally affordable units expand the tax base as more people can support themselves without public aid."
I'd have given the author a C- or D+. There are so many issues surrounding affordable housing that can't simply be laid at the feet of urban planning. It's also been a long while since I was last in Houston, but I don't recall a lot of affordable units near McMansions when I visited and toured some neighborhoods.

Michele Zone

BANNED
We tore down about 80 percent of our SROs over the of two decades. Our housing stock has converged towards upper middle class nuclear family digs while our population has diverged away from needing that and being able to afford it.

Tax policies, financing mechanisms and historical legacy all play a part. I would like to begin understanding some of the pieces related to urban planning.

I'm not looking to point fingers. I am looking to find solutions.

OfficialPlanner

Cyburbian
I'm loving the folks at Strong Towns! They've been several articles challenging planning norms. A few that have really made me stop to reconsider my position on something. For example, a related topic regarding inclusionary zoning and whether it's creating less affordable housing through the law of unintended consequences: https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2018/4/10/is-inclusionary-zoning-creating-less-affordable-housing

Right or wrong, I feel they're generating healthy discussions online.