• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

affordable housing contract?

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Hi all. New here. Actually doing research I came across this site and might stick around. Question:

Any suggestions on where to look for examples of contracts between City/County and developer/property owner to keep certain living units affordable for low income residents for certain number of years. I am thinking a deed restriction that will run for a certain number of years but I have had trouble finding examples and our counsel might not like something I could make up totally out of the blue.

Thanks

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Check with places like Fairfax and Arlington Co Va. they both have low income housing issues and require any new development to set asside x number of units for low income for x number of years. Try emailing the 2 planning depts.

Good luck!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
imaplanner said:
Hi all. New here. Actually doing research I came across this site and might stick around. Question:

Any suggestions on where to look for examples of contracts between City/County and developer/property owner to keep certain living units affordable for low income residents for certain number of years. I am thinking a deed restriction that will run for a certain number of years but I have had trouble finding examples and our counsel might not like something I could make up totally out of the blue.

Thanks
Contact the City of Ann Arbor, MI. Recently, a large infill development (Ashley Mews) was built in the downtown, which included affordable units. The City required a certain percentage of affordable units to grant a density bonus. The affordable units were required to be afforable to 80% of the local median income, and must remain affordable for a certain time period.

here's a link to the City website - Give the Planning Dept. a call
http://www.ci.ann-arbor.mi.us/

here's a link for the Ashley Mews development:
http://www.ashley-mews.com/
it's a really nice infill development. I wouldn't mind living there.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Some of our New Jersey - area professionals may be able to provide better links to this, but do a quick google search of "Mt. Laurel decision" and you'll find a plethora of information about New Jersey's mandated requirement for affordable housing in all communities. It has been quite controversial and I don't know how successful, but it is an effort to increase the supply of affordable housing.

I have feelings about this that are contradictory. On the one hand, affordable housing should be spread throughout the community (and defining affordable is another matter altogether), but when affordable housing is spread out, it tends to leave an inner-city pocket of even greater poverty.

I would also be careful about the possibility of takings issues. I don't think it would be considered a taking, or even a temporary taking, but developers and their sleezebucket attorneys will certainly howl.

BKM

Cyburbian
We require projects receiving city/Redevelopment Agency assistance to record a deed restriction to ensure affordability. For ownerhsip housing, the resale covenant is in place for 45 years. For rental properties/multifamily, we impose an affordability covenant based on HUD income levels for our community.