• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Afternoon slump

How do you deal with the afternoon slump

• I am young and virile so this never happens to me

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I am not young but this rarely happens to me

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Have active meetings where I talk alot

• Have meetings outside the office in coffee shops

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Take a power nap

• Drink lots of water

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • skip lunch

• late lunch

• snack every 2 hours with no "lunch"

• no carbs at lunch

• Take a walk

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Do the to-list that requires moving, as site visits, filing...

• Play music

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • After 2016, I don't believe in polls

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Geezum, LP, get to the hospital

• Some other method

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
What do you do to deter, prevent or power through an afternoon slump?

I Web MD'd it and got a little freaked out but even so, you can do things to prevent it -

I have nodded off while typing on a project I was completely engaged in so I need to get on this fast

Here are some ideas off the web and I do most of them - some days are better than others:

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Also try not to have to come in first thing the next morning after night meetings. In our office the standing rule is that whomever wasn't at the night meeting the night before can come in and open up solo, everybody else is encouraged to flex until 10. Those six hours will be way more productive than 8 "zombie" hours.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I like to move around. I sometimes reserve this time of day to do things like walk tickets across the street, file things in court, or go places...anyplace that isn't the office.

Getting tired in the afternoon can be indicative of high blood sugars. Just saying.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I like to get up and move around, preferably getting some fresh air in the process. As long as it's not raining, I try to get outside every morning and every afternoon for about a 20 minute walk.

Bubba

Cyburbian
On days when I'm in the office and that happens to me in the afternoon, I'll just go ahead and commute back out to the house (unless I have a meeting scheduled). The walk to MARTA, the train ride, and the walk home are generally enough to get me going again to finish the day working from home.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
For me a big chunk of it is my eyes get scratchy/tired feeling and I put eye drops in. Once my eyes don't feel like they need sleep, the rest of me follows along.

DVD

Cyburbian
I believe Web MD has told you that the answer is you gonna die from cancer (seems to be in every Web MD result). I just get up a walk around aimlessly.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Our mail is delivered to a separate building than our office. I make a point after lunch to check the mail. It involves about a mile or so to get there.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Light lunch, water, coffee, standing desk, music, internet browsing, scheduling meetings so I have to stay awake. . . it sometimes gets difficult in the summer since we don't have a/c in the non-public parts of our office building.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
+1 on light lunch. Sometime ago, I also discovered eating lightly makes me feel much more alert and less like a total greaseball on long road trips.

I used to hit the convenience store nearby for lunch and have a sandwich, bag of Fritos, and a pack of cookies for lunch, as well as an ice cream sandwich on the walk back. I still go to the same store, which I discovered magically also sells bananas.

That was 50lbs ago, and I'm more awake now.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Some days I don't eat lunch, but when I do, I try to keep it low carb. I also frequently have a cup of black coffee around 1:00 and it is the last of my caffeine intake for the day.

Tomorrow, I have a packed day, otherwise I would schedule in an afternoon nap being that I will be up late to watch a hockey team hoist a very important cup.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I have been fine taking calls (so maybe I should batch my call backs for now) and talking with people in an active conversation but when I turn back to my work, I just want to be out...

#gobruins

TOFB

Cyburbian
Had a woman come into our office and insisted she would not leave until we issued her building permit. We do not issue building permits; we sign off on zoning compliance (which we did a month ago).

After about 90 minutes, she left. No building permit.

• Wow
Reactions: kms

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
You are dead to me now.
Actually the Bruins are dead as they didn't show UP!!!! World Champions Boston Red Sox MOVED THEIR FREAKIN GAME TO 4 PM so the Bruins could have the GD WHOLE CITY to themselves on HOME ICE and they BLEW IT!

so done

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Actually the Bruins are dead as they didn't show UP!!!! World Champions Boston Red Sox MOVED THEIR FREAKIN GAME TO 4 PM so the Bruins could have the GD WHOLE CITY to themselves on HOME ICE and they BLEW IT!

so done
My favorite sports team had over 100 years between championships and I still rooted for them. I remember many a heartbreak moment.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Last night sucked...but it's kind of hard to get too upset...

Boston now 12-6 in championship rounds starting in 2002. Still pretty effing good if you ask me.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Also try not to have to come in first thing the next morning after night meetings. In our office the standing rule is that whomever wasn't at the night meeting the night before can come in and open up solo, everybody else is encouraged to flex until 10. Those six hours will be way more productive than 8 "zombie" hours.
This > I'm totally jealous of. Last night's meeting got me home at 830pm, then somehow a HUGE accident in a coastal [read: one way to anywhere] community made my morning commute 3.5 hours today. Now I'm off to tonight's evening meeting which I'm hoping doesn't last past 8.

The upside -- I'm working from home tomorrow.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Time to put a cot in the office! I actually do have a sleeping bag in mine but it's mostly in case there's some serious emergency that somehow demands the skills and experience of a planner.
Make sure to dust off the sleeping bag periodically and rotate it so it doesn't flatten out on one side.

;)

Bubba

Cyburbian
Time to put a cot in the office! I actually do have a sleeping bag in mine but it's mostly in case there's some serious emergency that somehow demands the skills and experience of a planner.
I had an employee that would occasionally RJ out for an afternoon - she would always come to me and completely dead-pan "I'm taking off for the day, but I'll have my phone with me in case there's a historic preservation emergency."

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I had an employee that would occasionally RJ out for an afternoon - she would always come to me and completely dead-pan "I'm taking off for the day, but I'll have my phone with me in case there's a historic preservation emergency."

If someone just up and started an illegal demo, the last thing you want is to now about it and have to show up when it's in progress! I learned long ago not to argue with people who are behind the controls of heavy equipment. They just don't respect the clipboard.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
If someone just up and started an illegal demo, the last thing you want is to now about it and have to show up when it's in progress! I learned long ago not to argue with people who are behind the controls of heavy equipment. They just don't respect the clipboard.
Maybe there needs to be a planner superhero, or depending on one's pov, supervillain, that expertly wields a razor sharp clipboard. Kinda like this:

(cool part starts at 1:00)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I work a lot better in the PM than the AM, so no slump for me — unless I’m just tired. I’ll usually take a 10-15 minute walk around downtown, weather permitting. Maybe go to the bodega down the block and get a bottle of Diet Pepsi or Coke Zero, or some carbonated water at the co-op. Not exactly helpful advice, I know.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Scheduled a 2 Pm meeting with an attorney about "a matter." Not sure what it is, but two of the bigger millionaire developers in town had a falling out and are now in a you-know-what-measuring contest over 24" of gravel sub-base to pavement on a shared project and headed to trial. The only good thing is I heard they are headed to trial soon enough that is I was going to get subpoenaed I already would have.

Anyway, meetings like that oughta keep me out of the slump.

Corner store coffee has improved, but swapped pots and made regular in the one that had been previously used for the dreaded Hazelnut. I have nothing against the noble nut, but an artificial version thereof belongs nowhere near my coffee.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Monday night meeting got me home at 715; last night's dinner got me home at 10pm; hoping tonight's PB mtg doesn't last much past 7.

I'm exhausted and feeling the afternoon slump at it's only 1213pm!!

Top Bottom