• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Agricultural Preservation - amidst urban sprawl

rurban

The American Farmland Trust has many a document on this topic, however, I am wondering if anyone is aware of any 'tools' that have been used, either with success or failure, in possibly both preserving and encouraging farmland protection within urban shadow regions.

donk

Cyburbian
Since you are from the TO area look at the Town of caledon's subdivison by-law/regs. They used to limit the number of lots that could be taken off a farm and limit the location based on soil types on farm productivity.

other areas in Southern Ontario to look at would be around St Catherines, around London. Specifically look at their holding zone provisions.

the other place to look for info is at Guelph's rural planning program

pandersen

Cyburbian
Ag Land Preservation

Most rural municipalities in Southern Ontarion have some form of policy that dealswith this issue.

If I recall correctly Puslinch Township (Ontario) used to limit rural non-farm subdivisions to 1 per original township lot (normally 80 or 100 acres).

A few years ago, I went on a week long bus tour with the Farmland Preservation Trust and toured Pennslvania, New Jersey and Maryland. Each of these states was using some form of "Transfer of Development Rights" or TDR to attempt to preserve remaing high quality farmland.

ecofem

Cyburbian
The Land Trust Alliance should have a lot of information on how land trusts are used in farmland preservation.

Other private-market methods of preservation/conservation, which have been very effective are conservation easements which allows the farmer/rancher/grower to continue to work their land, while gaining some of the development (potential) value out of the land. I haven't done much farmland preservation work here in Florida (no state-side funding ...yet).

gfiebing

Tools for Ag Land Preservation

rurban said:
The American Farmland Trust has many a document on this topic, however, I am wondering if anyone is aware of any 'tools' that have been used, either with success or failure, in possibly both preserving and encouraging farmland protection within urban shadow regions.
Peninsula Township, MI (planner@peninsulatownship.com) is one of the first governments in the country to tax itself to Purchase Development Rights from prime agriculture land. The program is so successful that we increased the tax and extended the taxing period to expand the program. We also use rural clustering, mandatory openspace and are encouraging transfer of Development Rights which just became legal in Michigan.

IPlan

Cyburbian
hi

I am in the Region of Waterloo. Our Official Plan is very strict about severances in the Rural areas. For the most part we do not allow them at all. Farms must be a minimum size of 40 hectares, and to create a new non farm lot, you can only do it as an infill situation when you have 4 or more non farm lots in a row, you can sever inbetween.

I can email the section from our OP if you want.

SGB

Cyburbian
gfiebing said:
Peninsula Township, MI is one of the first governments in the country to tax itself to Purchase Development Rights from prime agriculture land
How are the revenues raised for this program? From property or sales tax?

Budgie

Cyburbian
There are several approaches that use a mix of tools, often that work in conjunction with eachother. I don't want to spill what I know about the topic, because I don't have the time for it. But I would suggest reading the following.

Saved by Development - Rick Pruetz (foremost expert in TDR's)
Holding Our Ground - Tom Daniels and Deborah Bowers (Tom's work is excellent)
When City and Country Collide - Tom again.
Protecting Farmland, What Works? - The American Farmland Trust (if you become a member of the AFT, you get a copy of this excellent book).

One of the best examples (and believe me there are plenty out there) is Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, where Tom Daniels was instrumental in preserving farmland and curbing sprawl. There are numerous articles on the Lancaster County model.