• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Ahh.. yet another board to post to..

apunaha23

Hey everyone - looks like you have a pretty cool thing going on here. I'm another midwesterner, working at my first planning job in a suburb of Chicago that is bursting at the seams. I figure this forum is a good way to meet other planners around the country (world?), and bounce ideas around (or at least read some by those more creative than I..) My interests are all over the place (which is what finally landed me in planning), some of which include, travel, music (often combined with travel), playing guitar, skateboarding (although I haven't really skated in the past few years - it's still in my blood), carpentry/home repair, sound engineering, computers/internet/GIS systems, photography, and ultimately, being respectful of what is left of our tiny blue dot.

Just a quick question since I haven't really lurked on this board.... What's the pace of the board like? Is there high turn-over on posts here? Or is a weekly check of the boards going to keep me up to speed?

-Jeff

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Welcome

Hey Jeff...
I am in the same boat (in my first Planning Job), but I am working in PA. I want to get into the chicago land area, so if you hear of anything let me know.

As for your question... I check the boards anywhere from once a day, to a few times a day. It has a crazy turn over rate, and people here seem to be cool. I have only been a member since thursday, and I have learned alot so far.

Best of luck with your job.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome Jeff.

The board turns over fairly quickly, especially the Friday Afternoon Club where we go to blow off a little steam during the work week.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hi Jeff...

Welcome to Cyburbia. We have a lot of the same common interests... such as the music, travel, photography and skateboarding. Although, I'm a skateboarding spectator really... (unless I get to play Tony Hawk on the xbox ;) ).

Enjoy the forums... come by often!

apunaha23

ah - looks like I'll have to check more often - especially on fridays after meetings... Thanks for the welcome

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome!

Its slow on the weekend and major holidays but other times its a fun filled stress busting free for all (sort of)

:)
PG

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome.

You may be able to get by checking once or twice on a weekend, but weekdays you'll pretty much want to just skip work and hang out here with the rest of us. You'll never make it into the Clube if you just check in once a week.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Face it, you will eventually join Cyburbanites Anonymous - so just give up now and start posting 24/7.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the madness that is Cyburbia!

donk

Cyburbian
Careful, you'll start out looking for serious info, once a week and get dragged into the clube, killing kittens and worshipping the great leader.

Seriously

Welcome aboard, you'll find a wide range of musical tastes here and people with similar interests.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
apunaha23 said:
Just a quick question since I haven't really lurked on this board.... What's the pace of the board like? Is there high turn-over on posts here? Or is a weekly check of the boards going to keep me up to speed?
On weekends, there's a lot of lurking activity, but not too much posting ... maybe 10 messages on a Saturday or Sunday.

Weekdays, there's anywhere from 100 up to as many as 300 posts a day, and activity is increasing. Things tend to slow down somewhat for US and Canadian holidays.

Welcome aboard!