• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

AIB Guy Wed; Chick everyday

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
What kinda "guy stuff" do we do? My kid is away at camp this week, so I decided to surprise him by redoing his room. Found an incredibly cool desk at Staples; the drawers look like lockers.

OK, I've assembled lots of furniture. Never a problem. But this desk has already taken FOUR freakin' hours, and I'm not done yet. None of the screw holes line up. If I assembled it per the instructions, it wouldn't work! Must have been designed by an engineer (sorry, engineers).

Rem

Cyburbian
Just move on over there li'l lady and let a man help with that nasty old desk there. You don't want to go getting your hair or fingernails messed up now do you ........

Hope you are both a slow runner and a crook shot ZG. :)

Rem, she would hunt you down but you aren't worth the air fare. :-D

I don't know, ZG. I never felt like a success at "girlie girl" stuff. I was a tomboy who climbed trees and played stick ball in the street and stuff. I also mowed the lawn as a kid, even though I have an older brother (he also sometimes mowed the lawn but he has allergies and paler skin than me and stuff -- I was more hale and hardy than he was, much of the time, if you can believe that!).

I played roll playing games as a teen and young adult and was usually the only girl there. I went to GIS school 2 years ago and it was 2/3s male, as is the field generally. I do a lot of "male" things but I don't really think about it usually -- perhaps in part because I live with 3 guys (two teenaged sons and a husband). I did the cooking years ago but everyone gets their own meals these days, most of the time. And, because of my health problems, I think other people are more likely to cook for me than I am to cook for them at this point.

I am sooo confused. Can someone please give me a list of "guy things" to choose from??? I have been kind of deprogrammed from thinking like that, it seems. :)

tsc

Cyburbian
Guy things...hmm.. I do all the maintenance on the boat to include the work on the trailer. Very expensive to have oil changed on a boat and it is sooo simple on an outboard. I don't deal with such maintenance on my car though... as comparitively it is quick and cheap to have it done while doing other things on the car. I base it on how long it takes me to do... and what it costs. If it costs less than I make per hour at my job...then I don't mind someone else doing it.....

Hmm... recent projects included making a custom picket fence for the 4-legged boys. Was a breeze with the ole compound miter and nail gun.
1072lodifence.jpg

pandersen

Cyburbian
Guy Things???

Hmmmmm?
For me, I try and do as much as I can - both out of a desire for a real sense of accomplishment (sometimes lacking at work - pushing paper is not the same as using your hands) as well as a desire to save money for things I can't do.

Guy Things I Do:
1. Most routine auto repairs - cooling system flush/fill, brakes, electrical troubleshooting and tune ups (points, plugs, wires, distributor and rotor etc)

2. Yard work, home repairs and renovations - ah, where to start? I've owned my first home since last November but have worked on many in the past. so far, I've put up stud walls in the basement, insulated, moved dryer and bathroom vents so they discharge outdoors (a real chore hammer drilling through concrete walls). I drew the line at upgrading the hydro service myself - having a pro do that. This fall, I'm going to refinish all the oak floors and do some painting. This past weekend, I got up on the roof (and have the sore back to prove it) and reanchored and cleaned the gutters. Insulating and finishing the attached garage is also on my to-do list. Last on my list of guy projects is to shimmy up some of the trees on my new urban estate and do some pruning - I can harly wait (NOT).

3. Build my own furniture - finally got some good stationary woodworking equipment and plan on rediscovering the art of building heirloom quality pieces (for myself for a change).

4. Took a course on MIG welding and used the skill when it was time to equipment repairs back at the farm. Later, I used this skill to install some new floorpans in the 1973 Super Beetle that I owned for 20 years. My last welding project was to bild myself a heavy duty single axle trailer - most recently used to move my woodworking equipemt from Ontario to Manitoba.

My least favorite home renovation project has to be stripping wallpaper!