• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

AIB: Wisconsin comp plan ... :Your dream planning enabling leg

donk

Cyburbian
Having reviewed that thread and the comments in it and having been asked what we want in our "new" Planning Act.

If you where able to rewrite your planning enabling legislation what would you include, change or remove?

I'll provide a few starters

1) Change how we deal with and approve variances. Allowing staff to grant minor dimensional variances. It is really foolish to waste people's time for a variance of less than 6 inches in lot frontage. (Yes we've heard them)

2) Enforcement. Make it easier and a swifter process.

3) Change the appeal process and actually charge for it.

I've got tonnes more but that is a start.

SGB

Cyburbian
1) Provide a clearer distinction between site plan review and special use permits. If no such distinction is found or necessary, get rid of one of 'em!

2) Continue to keep comprehensive planning as permissive, but mandate consistancy of land use laws adopted post plan adoption with that plan!

Allow planners' decisions regarding land use and zoning matters to stay firm, without the final approval of the City Council. Appeals to those decisions can only be made to the City Council if there is proof that the planner did not base his/her decision on the regulations, guidelines, etc.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Give greater power to cities and villages, to make annexation easier and to give greater authority to enforce planning and zoning outside of their corporate limits (i.e., the unincorporated fringe).

OfficialPlanner

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Allow planners' decisions regarding land use and zoning matters to stay firm, without the final approval of the City Council. Appeals to those decisions can only be made to the City Council if there is proof that the planner did not base his/her decision on the regulations, guidelines, etc. [/QUOTE

WHAT?!? That's crazy power. Developers will all of a sudden be buying lunch for everyone in the planning department, like they do with the politicians.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
State level policies in Texas that need to change:

1. Ease process for annexation (it just got a little harder in Texas).

2. Increased planning tools for counties (zoning, etc.). Developers are capitalizing on the lack of restrictions in unincorporated areas.

3. Give the Councils of Government some real power

4. Hell, I live in Texas, I could go on forever! :)

Local stuff that needs to change:

1. Re-write pretty much all of the zoning and subdivision regulations. They were designed for a rural community, but they don't match future trends or the vibe I'm getting from the comprehensive plan committee about the future development.

2. New, better organized, more specific sign ordinance.

3. Ordinance requiring a "super-majority" vote of Council to overturn a P & Z Commission recommendation.

4. Again, I could keep going...