• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

AICP application essay criteria

8hesaid

Cyburbian
I'm starting to think about my AICP essays to apply for taking the November 2016 exam. My one job where I was a municipal planning consultant in New Jersey comprises 65% of my experience. I rarely dealt directly with planning boards or elected officials (I didn't have a PP); that was done by my superiors who were the appointed planners for towns. Anytime I prepared site plan reviews, comp plan elements, etc., it went through my bosses and then to town officials.

For AICP essay criteria #3, "Influence Public Decision Making in the Public Interest", will AICP accept experiences where I didn't directly work with elected officials or a planning board as long as I clearly explain how it was my work they were considering and, for example, comments that I made in the site plan review actually became conditions of planning board approval?

Also, for anyone who recently applied to take the exam, has AICP been really strict on what they will accept for experiences for all criteria? My two other jobs, including my current one, are not as cut-and-dry planning.

DVD

Cyburbian
Sounds like you have it covered, but I'm not the judge. I did hear the APA is trying to be more strict on what is/isn't experience. Just do your best to explain why the jobs should be considered and good luck.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
I've been one of the AICP application essay peer reviewers. Feel free to send your actual response to me via PM. How you frame your response will make a difference.

MRogersHK

How to PM you? I am new to cyburbia cant see how. I wanted to ask how I can get in contact with a AICP Peer Reviewer, I am currently putting together my criterion essays and need a fresh set of eyes to go over mine to see if I am heading down the right track. thanks

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
How to PM you? I am new to cyburbia cant see how. I wanted to ask how I can get in contact with a AICP Peer Reviewer, I am currently putting together my criterion essays and need a fresh set of eyes to go over mine to see if I am heading down the right track. thanks
So peer reviewers contact information is not posted or readily available--that's kind of intentional since we are volunteers that don't want to get inundated.

There's a restriction on new posters on Cyburbia that prevents you from initiating a PM until you have some number of posts in order to prevent spam. I just sent you a PM, as I think you are able to respond. If you can't, post again here and I can get into the moderator tools information to pull your email address and handle it that way.

My biggest comment: read the AICP candidate manual, particularly the sections about the three criterion. The way the descriptions in the manual are structured essentially creates an answer outline that you should follow. In fact, it tends to make it much easier for us to read and verify. And avoid flowery language--it tends to distract from the purpose of the answer and bury the information we are looking to cull out.

MRogersHK

So peer reviewers contact information is not posted or readily available--that's kind of intentional since we are volunteers that don't want to get inundated.

There's a restriction on new posters on Cyburbia that prevents you from initiating a PM until you have some number of posts in order to prevent spam. I just sent you a PM, as I think you are able to respond. If you can't, post again here and I can get into the moderator tools information to pull your email address and handle it that way.

My biggest comment: read the AICP candidate manual, particularly the sections about the three criterion. The way the descriptions in the manual are structured essentially creates an answer outline that you should follow. In fact, it tends to make it much easier for us to read and verify. And avoid flowery language--it tends to distract from the purpose of the answer and bury the information we are looking to cull out.
Thanks for replying, that makes it clear. I'll try to follow the outline the best I can.