• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Organizations AICP "Badge"

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
What is this APA is sending to me in my email?
You know, another way for your to show your AICP badge! Instead of just writing it next to your name, you too can pay some third party to show you have the credential. As if you are constantly being asked if your credential is valid.

Sir, Mr. Planner, can I please see proof of your AICP? That matters to me. Sure... yea that never happens.

From the APA site:

Q: What keeps someone else from copying my badge and using it?

A: The badges are uniquely linked to data hosted on Credly's Acclaim Platform and connected to APA's membership database. This link to verified data makes them more reliable and secure than a paper-based certificate. It also eliminates the possibility of anyone claiming your credential and your associated identity.

:tired: APA is so far away from providing value it isn't even funny anymore...

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I just saw the email.

The paper copy is in a cheap frame at the office. The pin is somewhere in my closet - never been worn.

I guess I could put it somewhere . . . digitally appropriate.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Initials are after my name in my email signature.
Pin is in a desk drawer.
Paper copy is also in a cheap frame in the office.

dw914er

Cyburbian
You know, another way for your to show your AICP badge! Instead of just writing it next to your name, you too can pay some third party to show you have the credential. As if you are constantly being asked if your credential is valid.

Sir, Mr. Planner, can I please see proof of your AICP? That matters to me. Sure... yea that never happens.

From the APA site:

:tired: APA is so far away from providing value it isn't even funny anymore...

Has AICP fraud even been an issue?

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
That was weird. I did "claim" it and stick it on my Linkedin, but I cannot imagine there has ever been much issue of people claiming they were AICP when they were not.

I really cannot imagine ever wearing my pin. I did finally have my certificate framed, just because I got my masters and decided to do it at the same time.

Among my younger colleagues, it has become quite a "thing" to have one's framed diplomas visible in the background on Zoom.

glutton

Cyburbian
Among my younger colleagues, it has become quite a "thing" to have one's framed diplomas visible in the background on Zoom.

I mean, pharmacists and eye doctors and physicians do it all the time, so I'm failing to see why planners can't too? Yeah it's a little cliche but I equate it to posting a wedding picture on social media every year for your anniversary - it's a phase. People want to feel like the thing they spent a lot of time and money on was at least somewhat useful. After some time when they become your age they'll no longer feel it's relevant and swap those frames for frames of their kids. And younger gens might have a lot more school pride than someone who is older (although again, that's probably has a time limit).

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I mean, pharmacists and eye doctors and physicians do it all the time, so I'm failing to see why planners can't too? Yeah it's a little cliche but I equate it to posting a wedding picture on social media every year for your anniversary - it's a phase. People want to feel like the thing they spent a lot of time and money on was at least somewhat useful. After some time when they become your age they'll no longer feel it's relevant and swap those frames for frames of their kids. And younger gens might have a lot more school pride than someone who is older (although again, that's probably has a time limit).
I see nothing wrong with framed certs on the wall- that's where mine are, too- but it's funny to see the sudden proliferation of intentionally-in-the-shot diplomas on Zoom.

paiste13

Cyburbian
I am 40 and have my degrees, AICP cert, and pics of kids in my zoom background. Those things are important to me. I don't see why we should downplay them. I didn't move them for zoom as they've been on my wall for 15 years.

Last edited:

glutton

Cyburbian
I see nothing wrong with framed certs on the wall- that's where mine are, too- but it's funny to see the sudden proliferation of intentionally-in-the-shot diplomas on Zoom.

i think it’s also that people are setting up home offices/makeshift home offices for the first time and want to decorate :). They may not have a lot of other decor budget/items so they decorate with what they do have or have knowledge of. Maybe their parents did that with their papers in their study or whatever, so they think oh maybe I could too.

also like...what else are you going to do with your diplomas/certifications haha. Might as well frame them on your wall, at least they’re used that way haha.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
also like...what else are you going to do with your diplomas/certifications haha. Might as well frame them on your wall, at least they’re used that way haha.

My undergrad diploma sat in a drawer for 21 years and my AICP cert was in the box they shipped it to me in for 7 years before I finally got them framed!