• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

AICP Certification...

Vlaude

Cyburbian
I am a grad student graduating this May, I've been working in the profession close to four years. I would like to become a certified planner a.s.a.p. Just wanted to get input from those who have completed the exam. Should I wait, should I take a study course, is their information online I can obtain that will help me, etc... etc... etc... Any comments will be appreciated, as I am just starting to look into it...

Thanks

ludes98

Cyburbian
Vlaude said:
I am a grad student graduating this May, I've been working in the profession close to four years. I would like to become a certified planner a.s.a.p. Just wanted to get input from those who have completed the exam. Should I wait, should I take a study course, is their information online I can obtain that will help me, etc... etc... etc... Any comments will be appreciated, as I am just starting to look into it...

Thanks
There have been many discussion on the merits of AICP. You may want to try searching the forums for other threads. There are quite a few reasons AICP and the APA are not too popular here.

If you wanted it ASAP you just missed the application deadline of Jan 8th, but now they are giving it twice a year. The study materials you want may depend on your background and how you prefer to study. I recall some people here mentioning not studying at all and passing the first time. I am planning on taking the exam with some written study material prep, but I am really only taking the exam because gov'ts and private firms here prefer it...and it adds to salary at my present position.