• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

AICP Delay

PRPlanner

What is going on with these people. Haven't they heard of customer service? How is it that we have to pay almost $300 bucks, take a lousy test that does not reflect what planners do on the field, wait ten weeks minimum, and then receive a very fishy letter with no explanation other than basically saying "you'll get the results whenever..."???? And they expect us to remain patient and support this organization? What a freaking joke!!!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Sme thing happened to me, sort of. I took the test last year, and after a long wait, got a letter saying "It's gonna' take a few more weeks." A few weeks later, nothing ... but a Cyburbianite who took the test looked at their entry in the APA member directory, and say "AICP" after their name. Word spread like wildfire, and we rushed to the APA site.

I didn't get a letter for another week, but my entry said I was AICP. It wasn't considered official until the letters went out, but still, I was giddy for the next few days.

Be patient, PRPlanner. I'm swamped at work, and it often takes me two or three days to return a call. Aside from all the legislative issues the folks in DC deal with, there's also the calls from us wondering "when are the results coming out?", and creating this year's scoring method.

sal95

Cyburbian
Way to go!

Congrats Planimal! Okay, now I know they are on the way. . . Where are they mailing them from? The post office is painstakingly slow here in Kansas.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I also got mine today, and I also passed. Woo Hooo!

Thank god I never have to study for that stupid exam again!

I left the envelope at home, so I am not sure where mine was mailed from.

I really like how the APA includes a new pro-rated invoice for AICP fees. What a great way to welcome you into the AICP. "Congratulations! Now send us some more money!" I also like how they pro-rated it to July 1, 2002, considering it is 3 days from August 1st.

I have determined that the APA's true purpose is to figure out how to separate planners (and their employers) from their money.

aicp

Yeah, it's like "congratulations, here are your LATE test scores and your bill." I am surprised they did not charge a late fee for the AICP dues. What scammers. Though I am very relieved that I passed, I think AICP is very corrupt.

The postmark says "Washington DC."

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Congrats to all who have posted and are soon to post....

But I repeat my position from earlier when there was such angst associated with the exam...

Since AICP truely is a marginal designation (just look around your office and see who has it), It only serves the organization to pass as many as people as possible (yeah, hold difficult exams and then scale the test to pass 70% or so). Its all about perpetuating the organization.

Boy I sound like a revolutionary.

I hope others find AICP "benefits" to be greater than I have found them.

of course, now I am in the private sector development community and "who give a _____" would be the response from fellow developers after I told them I was AICP.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Some employers use the AICP as a requirement for employment. I have heard of some communities basically eliminating all candidates w/o AICP. While I feel that the AICP will do absolutly nothing for my career at my current place of employment, I hope it will help down the road when I am looking to move on.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Congrats guys

As someone near DC all the mail coming out of parts of DC *whats the zip* is VERY slow due to the whole anthrax mess.

Everwhere i looked at getting a job did not give a rats butt if you had your AICP nor did the law firms. The story I get from folks is its no big thing.

But then again it could be just living in the south

D

sal95

Cyburbian
Whoo Hoo!

Yeah, I passed!!!!!!! Not by much, but who cares?? Last year I knew two people who took the exam, one made a scaled score of 72 and the other a razor thin 55. Guess what- they have the same AICP after their names, no gold stars for the 72. I am so happy that I don't have to take that test again. I had no idea what I would have done differently if I had failed. My husband is in the military, so I am looking for the certification to help me in my future frequent job searches. Also, I feel in the future that I can take a break, be a mom, and enter back into the workforce easier. All 6 planners in my office are now AICP.

troy

Well...in Texas a couple of years ago, there was a proposal before the state legislature to require that all City Planners be licensed as such.

That proposal was defeated.

However, it could come back, and my theory is that the state chapter of the APA would be well served to make any such licensing be based upon AICP rather than upon a Real Estate license as was originally proposed. (Not all planners work in Real Estate or Land Use).

That's why I took the AICP exam, and why I am glad to have passed it. If licensing is eventually required, hopefully, I'll already be covered.

Will the AICP help me find jobs? Beats me! Any edge I can get on a rival applicant could help.

Will it hurt? Probably not. I have the title on my business cards, but other than that, I only mention it if someone asks or if they introduce themselves as AICP's.

Since they let me in so easily, I'm not particularly impressed by their screening process, but I am glad to be in. I just wish I could figure out how to fit in 20 hours per year of continuing education with no money...

nerudite

Cyburbian
AICP and jobs...

I don't think that in the States it's a huge deal to be AICP to find a job. But if you are ever thinking about working internationally, I know that other countries are much more critical of planners that are not certified. If I didn't I have my AICP I probably wouldn't have gotten my job here in Alberta.

Acquiring full membership in the Canadian Institue of Planners (the Canadian equivalent of AICP) is a long process with heavy documentation and multiple exams (written and oral). The reciprocity agreement between AICP and CIP is great, because it gets you out of the training documentation and allows you an abbreviated testing process.

So although the benefits aren't always evident immediately with AICP, you never know when that little acronym behind your name will come in handy.