• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

AICP dues

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Dumb question ... are there dues in addition to the regular APA dues if you are AICP certified? What are they?

Thanks.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Dan,
It's a sliding scale according to your salary. Runs from $75 for salary less than 20K to $111 for more than 70K. But the employer always pays, so who cares. Right?

Mary

Guess again, My employer pays my APA dues but will not pay my AICP dues. When I asked I was told that I was already being paid for it by the salary I was getting. *Sigh* I didn't think I was making that much, lets get real, I work for a city.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Just putting together the budget for the Planning Department; i.e. me. If I'm in the $35K-$40K range, what's the AICP cut?

I'm working hard to keep my composure regarding APA and AICP. Been an APA member since '85 and AICP since '94. I'm still tying to figure out what I get in return other than their over-priced solicitations and a monthly advertising directory (Planning Magazine).

I am also an ICMA member. The dues are much higher, but, I get more for my employers money. ICMA members also seem to have more camaraderie and bonding in this group. Yeah, there are some steelheads in DC that kind of run the place. However, they are usually practitioners as opposed to academics. This is no kick on the planning Ph.D's (we need you, we just need an APA - ED whose background is practitioner only).

I just think planners need to drop this attitude about proving how smart we are (we already know the breadth of our education and experience), and instead in focusing on how to get results.

That's when I'll feel good about paying APA/AICP dues!

PS Sorry, maybe this should be in peeves.