• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Certification AICP exam prep July 2020

Vishal Jain

Hi all,
I am preparing to give my AICP exam this july.
I have been reading comprehensive notes (2007) Pennsylvania, AICP Exam Prep 2.0, reading Glossary from florida chapter and from studystacks. Also i have planned to give mock tests from planning prep. Is this enough to pass the exam????

What else shall i read. Since i am not finding scenario based questions to practice, i am little nervous..looking for HELP from Anyone with exp in giving AICP exam......

Last edited by a moderator:

DVD

Cyburbian
I used the older AICP exam prep and a lot of the florida notes when I did mine. The way I saw the exam it had two levels, remember this is 13 years ago so tests have changed, Part of the test was very broad subject matter. That is all covered in the information you've been studying. Things like road classification or what was this legal case about in general (housing, property rights, etc.). The other part was super detailed. The only way you would know these things was if you worked in that field or studied some of the stuff in depth. Things like how many trips per day does a 5 lane arterial road in Seattle carry at sunset on a Tuesday, or some very specific item from a legal case. Don't worry too much because there are enough broad questions to carry you through the impossible questions.

The scenario questions you just have to think it through and sometimes apply the AICP ethics to it. What would you do if you employee did something unethical and it made your department look bad. Usually the answer isn't fire him straight off - like the real world would. There is usually something like bring him up on ethics charges.

Just keep studying like you are. Get that stuff memorized in your head until the day of the test when you'll forget it all anyway. Maybe read over some so the legal cases so you know what happened and why the decision was made. Anything that can trigger your brain for an answer. If you have a planning degree of some kind that helps a lot too.

Good luck

Vishal Jain

I used the older AICP exam prep and a lot of the florida notes when I did mine. The way I saw the exam it had two levels, remember this is 13 years ago so tests have changed, Part of the test was very broad subject matter. That is all covered in the information you've been studying. Things like road classification or what was this legal case about in general (housing, property rights, etc.). The other part was super detailed. The only way you would know these things was if you worked in that field or studied some of the stuff in depth. Things like how many trips per day does a 5 lane arterial road in Seattle carry at sunset on a Tuesday, or some very specific item from a legal case. Don't worry too much because there are enough broad questions to carry you through the impossible questions.

The scenario questions you just have to think it through and sometimes apply the AICP ethics to it. What would you do if you employee did something unethical and it made your department look bad. Usually the answer isn't fire him straight off - like the real world would. There is usually something like bring him up on ethics charges.

Just keep studying like you are. Get that stuff memorized in your head until the day of the test when you'll forget it all anyway. Maybe read over some so the legal cases so you know what happened and why the decision was made. Anything that can trigger your brain for an answer. If you have a planning degree of some kind that helps a lot too.

Good luck
Thankyou...