• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

AICP Professional Development Officer (PDO)

What has your state PDO done to assist you in becoming a member of the oh-so-elite American Institute of Certified Planners? Has he/she provided study guides or applicable study materials; organized official study sessions; been available to answer any questions that you may have had; etc.? The reason why I ask this is because for the past 3+ years now, my state PDO has not done a darn thing. Specifically, he has not:

• held any informal nor formal study sessions
  • provided the most BASIC information regarding the exam to those who requested it
  • does not return phone calls or emails
  • etc.

A group of us have complained to the state leadership about this and have even gone so far as to complain to the national AICP leadership as well. To date, nothing has been done from either side. This mystifies me because it clearly states in the AICP Code of Ethics that
6) A planner must contribute time and information to the professional development of students, interns, beginning professionals and other colleagues

With that being said, we are at wits end and have decided to take matters into our own hands by establishing our own PDO and program. I know the general consensus here is why do we as planners even need to bother with AICP certification? Well, at this point, it's not even about being AICP or not, it's more of a matter of principle. What's the point in having an appointed PDO if he/she does nothing for the planners they're supposed to be helping in one way or the other?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
That's just flat out pathetic.

Our PDO organizes a professional development workshop EVERY spring, provides info and study guides for the exam, and I just helped him organize a workshop for prospective exam takers.

And we cover 3 states (VT, NH, ME)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
That's just flat out pathetic.
You're far too kind. Our PDO is a complete joke. He has been useless for years and what's even more pathetic and disgusting is that the current State APA chapter pres. is even more useless than the PDO.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Our old PDO is now the Pres. and did a great job. Too soon to know on the new one

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Out here, we may as well not have a chapter, much less a PDO.No conferences in over a year, might be 2 years, perhaps one newsletter a year (to elect their slate of officers).

I was PDO for two years in my last state. Four-hour training sessions for citizen planners at each. Time at each session for AICP testing skills. Organized study session once a year. A complete library of AICP study guides for loan. Always available for questions. Constantly push current AICPers to get continuing education credits. I worked my butt off, and loved helping others.

Here, I can't even remember the PDOs name.

A good friend offered to start a web page for this chapter...free. They never got back with him.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
There do seem to be several very weak state organizations in APA. Our dues could be better spent providing some staff support to the chapters and interest groups to allow (or prompt) them to provide services to their members. Good for you, Planderella, on taking the initiative to do it yourself. I am one of a group of economic developers who have pushed to get people in our state certified, sometimes with some resistence from the "establishment." We are up to about 15 CEcD's, and even the people who downplayed its importance are now thinking of taking the test. I wish you the same good luck.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I didn't even know we had one, if that tells you anything.

Our state chapter is pretty good. I assume someone from MSP is the PDO, but I have never heard anything about that position. I didn't even know it existed.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
SW MI Planner said:
I didn't even know we had one, if that tells you anything.

Our state chapter is pretty good. I assume someone from MSP is the PDO, but I have never heard anything about that position. I didn't even know it existed.
Every Chapter has a PDO....yours is:

Michigan
Jon Lynch, AICP
City of Midland
333 W. Ellsworth
Midland, MI 48640
(P) 989-837-3379
(F) 989-837-5732
jlynch@midland-mi.org

Source: http://www.planning.org/Chapters/pdo.html

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
What has your state PDO done to assist you in becoming a member of the oh-so-elite American Institute of Certified Planners? Has he/she provided study guides or applicable study materials; organized official study sessions; been available to answer any questions that you may have had; etc.?
Exactly what my PDO has done.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I never knew the position existed. In Maryland the chapter seems to be pretty much dominated by Baltimore area planners. Those of us on the Eastern Shore or in Western Maryland (I've worked both places) don't get very much at all from the chapter. There is a loosely formed, casual planner association on the Eastern Shore that has been more helpful to me than the chapter ever has. For that matter, some of the best info I've ever had on various professional topics has come from this board!

I think that the PDO for the MD Chapter does a great job in helping AICP candidates. I think that MD Planner is right, the chapter is geared more towards the Baltimore area. Actually, I participate in more activities with the National Capital chapter.