• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Air America - All of the Caffeine and None of the Oxycontin

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Air America Radio, a commercial radio network with liberal-oriented programming, is finally on the air. Granted, they're only on the air in a few markets and on XM, but you can hear them online with a Real Audio (buffering ... buffering ... buffering ...) stream.

Sounds good so far, although I can only render my final verdict after listening to them for a few days.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I friend just sent me the link this morning. I am listening as I type. So far some of the discussions have been very cliche'. I like that Chuck D is on there.

I will give it a couple of days before I pass judgement.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i'm enjoying it with the exception of randi rhodes...she needs to take it down a notch. the first day i tuned in on the net all i heard was rhodes saying "shut up" every 3 minutes. aside from the stream not being available the other day, it sounds good and i'm not having a lot of buffering problems. i like the pause on real player that actually pauses the stream and saves it...like DVR!

el Guapo

Capitalist
So government funded NPR was not nearly as pompus and widespread as needed by liberals hungry for biased news? ;)

Enjoy the vibe that comes from a news media openly on your side. Lord knows it will cut down on the number of people giving to NPR and PBS. It should make our argument for defunding NPR and PBS easier after the next election

[Nikita K.] We will sell you the rope with which you will hang yourself. [/Nikita K.] :)

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i don't know if i would put air america and NPR on the same pedestall. ;-) NPR while clearly on the left, is more news oriented than AAR. AAR is clearly after the Limbaughs of the airwaves. Fair and balanced AAR is not. But it's still fun to listen too, just like listening to the right-wingers is a source of humor for me most of the time. :-D

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
el Guapo said:
So government funded NPR was not nearly as pompus and widespread as needed by liberals hungry for biased news? :)

Grrrr ... NPR isn't biased. Sure, it's "liberal" compared to Fox News, but then again, most mainstream media seems liberal compared to Fox News ... even when it's dead centrist. Besides, you've probably never heard Pacifica Radio, which makes Air America seem like a bunch of dittoheads by comparison.

"That N-R-P or whatever ... is that the station where they're always saying Nick-ahh-lar-ooo-wah-goo-way or something? Bunch of fancy boys that are probably trying to take away my guns. Now, you saw the no tresspassing signs, didn't you? Git!"

:D

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Besides, you've probably never heard Pacifica Radio, which makes Air America seem like a bunch of dittoheads by comparison.

i agree...i can't listen to Pacifica for too long b/c it is too liberal for my tastes. my first college's radio station streamed Pacifica for a few hours a day. never cared for it.

EG: You just don't care for public media at all, do you?
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6285

BKM

Cyburbian
Maybe this is semantics, but "liberal" to me is kinda mainstream, FDR/Great Society kinda thinking. Pacifica is not "liberal," it's RADICAL-very different.

That's the kind of station where the "We Love Sadaam" sign holders hang out. Where every white man is a racist homophobic hegemon. Where every world problem can be laid at the feet of Israel. Where the Indigenous Peoples roam free. :) Not that I always disagree with them, but its a little over-the-top.

They have great roots music radio, including probably the only programming totally dedicated to "This is from the Paramount Theatre Show, May 9, 1978, man" Grateful Dead shows :)

The Irish One

Ok, I've listened for about 2 hours and so far I'm not impressed. Listening to am radio is like listening to the voice of the state, I just can't deal with it.

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
The Irish One said:
Ok, I've listened for about 2 hours and so far I'm not impressed. Listening to am radio is like listening to the voice of the state, I just can't deal with it.

Ha ha ha! Yeah, I give it another few months. Hey, even I don't listen to talk radio. Since I stopped (listened for about amonth) I have had way less tension.

I perfer my trance, techno, and eighties rock when I'm driving, thank you.

BKM

Cyburbian
Luckily, the Bay Area is not all ranting nuts like Michael Savage on its talk radio. I like some of AM 810's hosts, especially Gene Burns, who I don't always agree with but always find interesting and rational. (His show inspired my "question" thread this week).

otterpop

Cyburbian
I haven't heard Air America yet. I saw Al Franken being interviewed on the Daily Show. Calling his show The O'Franken Factor was not inspired, though taking a dig at the pompous S.O.B. Bill O'Reilly is amusing. As much as he puffs himself up, Bill O'Reilly will always be, to me, the original host of "Inside Edition", one of the first sleazy, trash journalism shows.