• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Airline Insanity

Grrr. I just booked my little brother's flight home from LAX to Albany for Christmas for only $178. And today they went down to $150!!! From Cali to Albany! Buying plane tix is worse than buying stock.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
yes it is screwy. And with all the airline "security" its become just as big a pain to fly as to buy the ticket.

Im not looking forward to the Fla trip.

El Feo

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
Grrr. I just booked my little brother's flight home from LAX to Albany for Christmas for only $178. And today they went down to $150!!! From Cali to Albany! Buying plane tix is worse than buying stock.
Kelly, depending on the airline (or search engine), you might be able to call them directly and have them honor today's lower price for your ticket. I used to travel a lot - A LOT - and this happened a fair amount. Travelocity & Expedia were always pretty good about it, as were US Air, United, and Midwest Express. Good Luck!

jmf

Cyburbian
If I could get a flight anywhere for $178 I would be thrilled. I am thinking about going to TO in October to see some friends (and to see how Tran is settling into married life! ha ha). My flight could cost anywhere from $360 to $600 depending on the airline. And here hoping 1) the airlines doesn't go out of business between now and then and 2) nothing awful happens. Last time I was in TO for a friend's wedding I was supposed to fly back on Sept 11th....it was a few more days until I got home and strangely enough my boss wasn't that sympathetic to my not being able to get a flight.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
jmf said:
If I could get a flight anywhere for $178 I would be thrilled. I am thinking about going to TO in October to see some friends (and to see how Tran is settling into married life! ha ha). My flight could cost anywhere from $360 to $600 depending on the airline.
You're more than welcome to check up on me when you're in town, jmf.

I'm actually going to Halifax for my honeymoon - we're taking the train, but when I looked at airfares, it seemed to me that you could get to Halifax for about $100 one-way (at least, that's the price the ad tried to sucker you in with). Try CanJet or JetsGO. And don't forget, $178 U.S. works out to about $300 Cdn.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
And don't forget, $178 U.S. works out to about $300 Cdn.
Yes it does (at least it did in June). All my $300 ATM withdrawals in NS & PEI showed up on my statements as $194 and change (includes international ATM surcharge of $5 and my bank's "foreign" withdrawal charge of $1.50).

I love visiting Canada! :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I recommend avoiding Midwest Express for the time being. They are having labor problems and the union rejected mediation. They are heading for a strike of an indefinite term.

El Feo

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
El Feo - I booked thru travelocity. should I call them, or U.S. air?
Start with Travelocity, but follow up with US Air if you don't get satisfaction...

nerudite

Cyburbian
I envy a $178 airfare... I'm lucky if that's the taxes alone on my airfare. It costs about $350 return to Vancouver from here, and that's only 1.5 hours for a flight! Grrrrrr. I miss my cheap fares on Alaska Air when I was in Portland.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Spirit Air is flying for free (anywhere they go) on 9/11 if anyone has the guts to do it.