• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Airport Zoning

Niyojak

Any help for airport zoning in a case where a small domestic aerodrome is being upgraded as International (Regional) Airport. The present aerodrome is near the city and is expected to cater the international traffic from the caribbean region only.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
The Federal Aviation Administration publishes a number of resources for airport zoning. I don't know how much of it is on-line, but it would be the place to start.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
All of the FAA planning guides were on line in 2000. I had reason to look then.

Niyojak

Thanks. I've gone thro' the online content. Most of it talks about Zoning required as per FAA. I'm also looking for Airport vicinity area. What compatible uses can be proposed near a International (Regional) Airport.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Most airports are now surrounded by industrial uses. This is in part due to the negative impacts such as poise and pollution, but also due to the tendency for companies to ship via air. This is true for distributors as well as manufacturers.

garethace

Cyburbian
Hence, Shannon Industrial Estate in County Clare in Ireland - right out in the middle of nowhere. Built from the ground up, without that much planning and loads of people moved in there. There are lots of suggests these days, to how to improve things at ground level. I guess it is very strategic in one sense and well thought out in its time.

If you read through this it does contain a nice couple of ideas.

I always liked this one too

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
Logan Airport in Boston is located near res development which makes it unique. it might be interesting to look at some of things Massport, the airports management agency, has done to mitigate its affects upon the community.

Rem

Cyburbian
Sydney's Airport also is located in a largely residential area (another Boston similarity). They have a curfew to assist with noise (no takeoff or landing between 11.00 pm and 6.00 am). They also farm approach and takeoff movements between runways to distribute noise, and have run house buy back and renovation (for noise reduction) schemes during extensions.

Niyojak

I think, it is a good idea to propose Special Economic Zone around Airport, when there is hardly any developemnt and vicinity area is in rural setting. It would help in curbing non-conforming uses getting attracted there. Existing Residential settlements (though very scarce) need some intervention.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I think the best uses around an international airport would be economic zones( as you have suggested ur self) and processing zones. These may be export oriented or for local comcumption( incoming goods side).
Its important to have a broad understanding about what kind of economic activity is linked to that airport as wella s the local economy.
Warehousing( containers) tertiary services for logistics and transportation. Wholesale storage, cold storages for impot as well as export goods are aslo useful and compatible uses.
Its better to avoid residential areas asa much as possible. adn even if they are they can be low density and low rise.
Industrial uses can be those which are flatted development( also in low rise )
Agro based industry is another land based activity.
The larger environmental problem you may face later( sound /noise pollution now) will be from teh aircraft fuel and the affect on the local land, water and air and also on the flora and fauna of teh local region.
Its better to get the ground water tested beofre and after development and thatt need to be done at regular intervals. same could go for the soil investigation.
depending on the size of the airport as well as hte kind of traafic you expect.
IF the location is far away from the core city then u need to give a fast link from it and therefore abutting landuse may be very attractive for some kind of development. Private sector residential development may come up near it.
Better toavoid the overall development around the airport or delay it. And if there is some development then better to showcase it as the tourist will have the firlt view/impression of guyana the moment they land and enter the building/terminal.
Do think about the image of the city which you want toproject.
IM saying this depsite being not able to do similar effects in the current project( related to airport development).
I hope you ar eable tobalance the things well and in the meantime if I am able to come up with some regulations/ case studies then will let you know.

Bye for now

Niyojak

I have already given a thought to the issues raised by Mandeep Singh Thaper. I must thank for sharing his concerns. Looking for some more discussions.