• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Akaroa, South Island, New Zealand

JNL

Cyburbian
I took these photos in December. Akaroa is a small historically French settlement on the East Coast of the South Island of New Zealand. It's probably the only place in NZ where the signs are bilingual French/English! It's a popular tourist spot.

801DCP_0751.jpg
This first shot is en route. It is a long hilly drive to get there and my car brakes were smoking when I arrived! Beautiful views - this shot was taken outside a quaint old hilltop pub.

801DCP_0755.jpg
A pic of the township. The 2-storey building is a backpacker hostel.

801DCP_0756.jpg

801DCP_0758.jpg
Another backpackers'.

801DCP_0760.jpg

801DCP_0765.jpg
It has some neat old buildings. This one is currently being used as a bank.

801DCP_0766.jpg

801DCP_0772.jpg
The beach (where I had an icecream) and...

801DCP_0770.jpg
...the pier

nerudite

Cyburbian
wow... the hills remind me of the hills in the coastal ranges of CA. Looks like a nice little town :)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Great pics, nice little town. Why do towns in other countries always look so picturesque? More interesting than where we live?

We have great beaches here, but the little towns have been overrun by condos, and of course it is all as flat as a pancake. My son is dying to visit Australia/New Zealand, I'll give you a holler a few years down the road when we can make the trip.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Wonderful pictures. And I agree with nerudite, the topography and vegetation appear very similar to coastal California.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Very nice 'burg. My dad was in Wellington during WWII and he always spoke very fondly on NZ.

I am a little surprised by what appears to be a fire escape on the second floor of the bank building. Our codes would not require a fire escape from a second storey like that -- I wonder what the story is behind it.

[OT]Smoking brakes? Yikes. It looked pretty hilly, but not that hilly. You aren't riding the brakes, are you?[/OT]

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The first pic looks alot like the Shire. ;-)

Nice pics! Arrggh, another place to put on the must visit list.

List getting too long since joining cyburbia.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Wow, those pesky French get everywhere, eh? ;) That looks like a really nice place to visit, and I'd love to see if I could understand the French spoken there.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Nice. More reasons for me to someday realize my dream of visiting New Zealand, especially he South Island.

BKM

Cyburbian
To echo everyone else's comments:

This looks spot on like Point Reyes Station in rural western Marin County, California. Even the town and its architecture would fit right in western Marin/coastal Sonoma County.

JNL

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
[OT]Smoking brakes? Yikes. It looked pretty hilly, but not that hilly. You aren't riding the brakes, are you?[/OT]
It was a very hilly, up and down, indirect route to get there, about 1.5 hours, and my car is automatic so even though I had it in the lower gears, I kind of had to ride the brakes sometimes.