• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Al Gore on SNL

Gore on SNL?

• I saw the birth of the next Phil Hartman

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • He was Ok.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • He Piscapooed

• What is SNL

• Didn't see it.

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

el Guapo

Capitalist
He and Tipper (who I like) were on SNL this weekend. The night before he dropped his announcment punting the race. Well?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I thought he was hysterical. The opening skit cracked me up - Al Gore deep tongue kissing on national TV - EWW. That takes guts.

The WIlly Wonka skit rocked.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I turned it off as soon as I saw him. I hate him, Clinton, and all things that have to do with the Democratic party.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I totally forgot about it... doing other stuff Saturday night involving a lot of rum. :)

Was he better than McCain? I saw the McCain one twice (to see the White Stripes mainly)... and most of McCain's skits were fairly bad.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Gore's Vice Presidential "The Bachelor" skit was funny, along with the Willie Wonka skit.

The Irish One

the VP skit was funny as hell and the chris matthews show was a nice cheap shot at trent lott and the demacratic party. I liked the stewart smiley skit as well because I got to hear the late great Phil Hartman' voice once again on SNL -I love that man.

I missed it - its just on way too late for me. I had to get up the next morning and make brunch for my hungover sisters.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
We were having our annual Christmas shingding. If I had known Al Gore was going to be on, I would have turned the TV on.

donk

Cyburbian
Slightly OT

This reminds me that we forgot to ask nerudite how she liked Talking to Americans.

EG, how can you like Tipper, she is anti free speech, anti thought and she does not rock.

For a really good comment on this check out jello biafra's coments. It is a link to his web site to download a large MP3 that is hilarious.

el Guapo

Capitalist
donk said:
EG, how can you like Tipper, she is anti free speech, anti thought and she does not rock.
Simple: I have a child that I don't want AOL/Time Warner and thier ilk raising. I'm not for censorship, but I am for labeling in certain cases.

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
Slightly OT

This reminds me that we forgot to ask nerudite how she liked Talking to Americans.
Good question... I forgot to report back! Some of the stuff was pretty funny. I mean, there are *some* things that all Americans should know. Like there is no polar bear hunt in Toronto.

But other parts, even after living here a year, I just didn't get. Like I get all my news from reading the paper/Internet... so I totally didn't get the Peter Mansbridge joke. I mean, I figured out that he was a person, but I didn't know who he was 'til my b.f. explained it to me. Other stuff that everyone thought was so hilarious I didn't think was *that* funny... mostly because you could see how they were getting people to say stupid stuff by having them read straight from a script, I mean... it's funny, but I'm sure Americans collectively don't really believe such things:

-"Congratulations, Canada, for legalizing insulin!"
-"Congratulations, Canada, for legalizing staplers!"
-"Congratulations, Canada, for becoming part of North America!"
-"Congratulations, Canada, for getting FM radio!"
-"Congratulations, Canada, for preserving your national igloo!" (the governor of Arkansas was big on that one)
-"Congratulations, Canada, for moving on to a 24-hour clock!" as opposed to our old 20-hour clock. (the governor of Iowa was glad about that)
"Congratulations, Canada, on making Beaver Balls your national dish!"

I'm sorry... but I bet a lot of Canadians, if you put a camera in front of them and said could you read this, would say equally innane things about America... because you guys are *nice* that way. ;)

But the all-time funniest bit (IMO) was about the Caribou herds running through downtown Vancouver/Burnaby and how the only way the locals can fend them off is by pummeling them with Timbits. Now *that* was funny! (That and the kid who corrected his mum for saying that Canada had states.)

Overall, it was pretty good... but after living here a year, I don't fault Americans for not knowing some of the stuff the Canadians were guffawing over. But seal hunting in Saskatchewan and prohibiting Canadians from stranding senior citizens on ice floes?... shame on the co-eds that signed those petition... And shame on George Bush and his aides for not knowing the Prime Minister of Canada's name!

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
I liked the girl at the end who cracked up about Theodore tugboat and Canada being bi-polar due to global warming.

Another funny one, not on this show, was asking people their favourite recipe for cooking silverfish. People talked about baking them, frying them, poaching them and even BBQ.

And here is a picture of the delicacy

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
I liked the girl at the end who cracked up about Theodore tugboat and Canada being bi-polar due to global warming.

Another funny one, not on this show, was asking people their favourite recipe for cooking silverfish. People talked about baking them, frying them, poaching them and even BBQ.

And here is a picture of the delicacy

See... now that would be funny, because we have silverfish in the States.