• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Al Jazeera in English

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It doesn't seem to be the news, though ... it's mostly editorials, or at least highly editorialized news, with an anti-US/UK slant. If this is what they're watching in the MIddle East, we've got a long battle ahead, even after the "liberation" of Iraq. :(

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I agree Dan, I think we have a long battle even after the "war" itself is over. The war itself is not going to be a cakewalk (why did anyone think it would be???) but after that is when it gets real damn hard.

BKM

Cyburbian
"The Site is Unavailable"

I must have run afoul of the "running dog infidel" filter.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
The Irish one said:
isn't al jazeera partly owned by qatar gov?
Not sure... but they did air footage of dead American soldiers before the next of kin could be notified. I say a pox on them.

donk

Cyburbian
isn't al jazeera partly owned by qatar gov?
did some quick searching and found from multiple sources that indicate/infer that a prince in quatar owns the network.

BKM

Cyburbian
But in those backwards monarchies, princes own everything, so I'm not sure it means "the government" owns it. :)

The Irish One

you can bet the controls are in place. I only trusted one newspaper out of the middle east and that was a lebonese paper and probably Christian financed -not really sure since I can't think of the name now. But tv- news forget it.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I believe it's good to hear the news from another point of view... It helps you to get the REAL picture... not just the CNN version... ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
I believe it's good to hear the news from another point of view... It helps you to get the REAL picture... not just the CNN version... ;)
Is the Al Jazeera version the REAL picture? I'm sorry but I'm just not buying that. I will agree that alot of what is going on is not being shown on CNN or MSNBC (as it shouldn't), but I'll bet my left testicle that we aren't over ther slaughtering innocent women, children, and civilians as Al Jazeera would like you to believe.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Gee, can the headline "Dead Al-Jazira Reporter Deliberately Targeted" be any more one sided?

At least they are reporting on Iraqis cheering on the Americans.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Heard a great line this morning...

We have already democratized Bahgdad; Its turned into Detroit.