• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

alcohol tolerance

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So this friend of mine was stationed at a military base in NC where some genius decided it would be a good idea to install do-it-yourself-breathalyzer tests in the enlisted club, so patrons could use them to find out if they perhaps had too much to drink and should maybe get a ride home. Young servicemen would, of course, never think to abuse these devices and, say, turn them into a game or contest to see who at the table could blow the highest BAC. As it happened, though, this friend did actually play such a game one night and it was decided afterwards that he and his group of buddies should set up orange traffic cones in an out-of-the-way parking lot elsewhere on base, for the purposes of finding out if in fact alcohol impaired driving skills as much as all the safety films depicted. This friend – who only minutes earlier managed to blow a .21 (over twice the legal limit) on the PBT - managed to successfully execute a triple figure eight slalom around cones placed at 35’ intervals while travelling at ~20 MPH. Without knocking over a single pylon. Then proceeded to repeat the feat while travelling in reverse. This friend noted at the time that the effect of that quantity of alcohol seemed “slight”. Not everyone in the group fared as well, but at least two others were able to duplicate this feat.

This same friend recently drank two (measly) pints of Labatt’s recently and nearly lost his balance when standing up quickly. Has anyone found that their tolerance for alcohol has diminished over time?

Reactions: Dan

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
It's been so long since I drank, I would have no idea. My body mass is larger, so that might increase it. However, since I don't drink alcohol, that might decrease it.

DVD

Cyburbian
I used to drink a lot more when I was younger. We're talking a case was the minimum to start getting a buzz. I was usually full before I was drunk. Granted my BAC would not agree. Today a 6 pack is more than enough. I think like WYP I have enough body mass to fight the power, but I would have to go back to my superior drinking days to really build up the tolerance again.

We also had a guy, Samoan if it makes a difference. He was a mountain and we would regularly find him passed out with a couple empty bottles of whisky next to him only to get up ready to hit the bars with him. I tended to avoid drinking with him since he insisted you should keep up. He's also the guy who got mad after I got drunk off beer.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Or medically forced to 0 ? like me.
Do you know if a diabetics' ability to metabolize alcohol is affected by the condition? (I have to believe it does)

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Do you know if a diabetics' ability to metabolize alcohol is affected by the condition? (I have to believe it does)
Consequences of Alcohol Use in Diabetics

Alcohol consumption by diabetics can worsen blood sugar control in those patients.
For example, long-term alcohol use in well-nourished diabetics can result in excessive blood sugar levels. Conversely, long-term alcohol ingestion in diabetics who are not adequately nourished can lead to dangerously low blood sugar levels. Heavy drinking, particularly in diabetics, also can cause the accumulation of certain acids in the blood that may result in severe health consequences. Finally, alcohol consumption can worsen diabetes-related medical complications, such as disturbances in fat metabolism, nerve damage, and eye disease.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't drink excessively but I am fine with an occasional glass of wine (5g carbs) or cocktail made with diet soda or unsweetened mixer. I wear a CGM and the aforementioned have little effect on my blood sugars so long as I imbibe as part of/after a meal. Beer is a little more tricky these days.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I don't know if my tolerance has changed but my problem, ever since I had kids, is that beer and wine are just as likely to make me really sleepy as they are to make me buzzed. Especially red wine, for some reason.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yes and no...

For me, it depends on what it is I am drinking. For sweet wines, one is my limit. Dry wines are not as much of an issue. Sweet mixed drinks will knock me off the chair, but dry drinks are not as much of an issue. When I was younger, they were all equally problematic.

Today, I drink much less than I did when I was younger for a combination of reasons, mostly health and genetic.