• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

All Right Rush !!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Limbaugh Announces He's Addicted To Pain Killers

Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh announced during his radio program
Friday that he is addicted to painkillers and is checking into a a rehab center.

SGB

Cyburbian
Despite rumors and proclamations to the contrary, it seems he's a human like the rest of us.

God speed and good luck to 'im.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I may not like him, but I wish him well....

Seabishop

Cyburbian
And we thought he lost all that weight the old fashioned way.

I can picture the Saturday Night Live skit with him in the rehab center now.

BKM

Cyburbian
As somebody who tends to the addictive in personality, I know that addictions can be a problem. I wish him the best, and am happy to see that is honest with himself (and his audience).

otterpop

Cyburbian
I figured this was what was going to happen. He goes to the Betty Ford Clinic and then he will write a book about his "ordeal" and "the road back to sobriety." He will make a bundle.

I suppose I should follow the party line here and wish him well. But I can't. He is a hateful, evil and megalomanical bum-hole. The country would be a better place if he would shut his pie-hole (when he isn't shoving illegal prescription drugs into it) and go away. Same goes for his Dittoheads.

Maybe Al Franken can reissue his book and retitle it - "Rush Limbaugh is a Big, Fat, Drug-addled Idiot"

el Guapo

Capitalist
otterpop said:
I figured this was what was going to happen. He goes to the Betty Ford Clinic and then he will write a book about his "ordeal" and "the road back to sobriety." He will make a bundle.

I suppose I should follow the party line here and wish him well. But I can't. He is a hateful, evil and megalomanical bum-hole. The country would be a better place if he would shut his pie-hole (when he isn't shoving illegal prescription drugs into it) and go away. Same goes for his Dittoheads.

Maybe Al Franken can reissue his book and retitle it - "Rush Limbaugh is a Big, Fat, Drug-addled Idiot"
HATE SPEECH FROM THE LEFT!

Thanks you made my day, and many of my points this week. ;)

otterpop

Cyburbian
El Guapo

I am not from the "Left". I am a moderate from way back. I just hate hypocrites. He railed against drug abusers at the same time he was popping illegal drugs. I reserve the right to rail against all hypocrites, no matter their political leanings.

I stand on firm ground when I call Rush hateful and megalomanical. I might give you that "evil" was editorizing. But I can stand on the record (the very words from his mouth every day) that he is hateful, i.e. full of hate. His army of "dittohead" point to his megalomania.

el Guapo

Capitalist
A busy-body news company this last week researched Rush and looked for anti-drug abuser comments since his back operation a few years ago. Guess what? They didn't find any. Hummm?

BKM

Cyburbian
I am not from the "Left". I am a moderate from way back
Come to the Dark Side, Otterpop. It is calling you.

"The Only Things in the Middle of the Road are Yellow Lines and Dead Armadillos"-Jim Hightower

:)

otterpop

Cyburbian
HUMMMMMMMMMM

This is what I found after maybe three minutes of searching on the Internet.

"Let's all admit something."

Rush Limbaugh was on his usual tear.

"There's nothing good about drug use," he was saying. "We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborhoods which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up."

"What this says to me," he told his listeners that day, "is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too."

So the cops have the goods on old Rush. If he is true to his own principles he must do the right thing. He should turn himself in as a felon, plead guilty before a judge and go up the river.

So now that his addiction has come to light we at least know why they call him Rush, dude.

el Guapo

Capitalist
It must hurt to hate so much. Try a OxyContin on me. :)

PS can you source your "quote"?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Otterpop, no offense, but come back down to earth. Rush is not a hypocrite. Rush is NOT a political comentator, hasnt been for years. He's an entertainer, and IMHO not a good one. Entertainers like him speak a message to occupy ones mind, not to stand on a soap box and tell you what they REALLY think. (sorry Bono)

Everyone knows that the entertainment industry is rife with drug abuse. ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I listen to Rush only because I want to know how my enemy thinks, and dissect the propaganda tactics of the right.

I have little respect for the man's politics, and his hypocritical presentation of it. However, I do have a newfound respect for the man himself. His actions today were the right and honorable thing to do. Like a man should, he admitted he did something wrong, and that he shouldn't be considered a role model.

Some would say that, as a liberal, I should feel some sense of schadenfreude because the conservative equivalent of the Red Baron was shot down. Nope. I wish him well, and Godspeed.

Wulf9

el Guapo said:
PS can you source your "quote"?
I have seen that quote from the Rush Limbaugh show of October 5, 1995, but not from a source I would necessarily trust.

It's my understanding that Rush took a less harsh view of drug abuse after he became addicted, but I don't have any of those quotes.

My basic opinion is that we ought to follow the law on this matter. Whatever would apply to any other person should also apply to Rush. If this is a criminal offense, he should be charged. If this is something where a voluntary check in to treatment would be a normal legal remedy, that should be an acceptable solution.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
You think people gave him too much credit because they wanted to see a fat, white, right-winger to do well?

Yummy, pop some more pills Rush, the right-wingers will always believe what you have to say no matter how much you take.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The Irish One said:
I'll take ten 80mg for the weekend entertainment, thank you.
Some say that an Oxy high feels like getting a hug from God. It could also feel like a b-----b from Ann Coulter, depending on your persuasion.

Habanero

Cyburbian
otterpop said:

If it wasn't for my faince' I'd say I love you. I hate that man, I always have and I always will.

The Irish One

-Hey if it wasn't for drug use, I wouldn't be where I am today. Whether thats good or not, I don't know.
It's good Rumpy! I can't stand the puritanical approach to life, we all have different circumstances and drugs happened to be part of your life. Something good can come from any situation.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I here that, and the acid, I mean Robotusin :b: did eventually set me straight, although something else did before that.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Wulf9 said:
My basic opinion is that we ought to follow the law on this matter. Whatever would apply to any other person should also apply to Rush. If this is a criminal offense, he should be charged. If this is something where a voluntary check in to treatment would be a normal legal remedy, that should be an acceptable solution.
I would guess that a majority of people in drug rehab are never charged with a crime. I had a friend in high school whose parents checked them into rehab and he wasn't charged. Actors and athletes are always checking in and out of rehab without any legal action. Law enforcement turns the other way when people admit they have a problem and check into rehab and I think that is a good thing. Do you think that anybody would voluntarily check into rehab if they knew that the cops would be waiting at the door to charge them with drug possession?

Wulf9

I agree. We should be offering rehab rather than jail. My point is that if we put some drug users in jail but allow a select group to go to rehab, that is not justice. If Rush were to see how normal folks are handled, he might change some of the direction of his show.

Jeff

Cyburbian
If you voluntarily check into a rehab your confidentiality is secured from whomever, I think even court orders but don't quote me on that.

If you are 302'd (court ordered) its a public record.

I know too much about this.