• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Food / drink 🍗 All that sweet sweet candy

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There are so many delightful and delicious types of candy out there it's hard to know which one is best. Can you imagine being faced with the dilemma of having to choose between your favorites? It's truly bewildering with so many choices out there! Which candy do you like best?
Circus peanuts?
1630434890326.png

Good n Plenty licorice?
1630434969728.png

coffee flavored hard candies?
1630435026616.png

peanut butter candy?
1630435083916.png

Mary Jane chews or Bit O Honey?

1630435235662.png

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
No No No GIF

None of those. No.

Sincere answer:

Milky Way candy bar.

yas omg GIF by O&O, Inc

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
No No No GIF

None of those. No.
You know, the ones I mentioned were all pretty Halloween-centric. Perhaps you're one who appreciates the delights of other holidays' candy?
1630435570006.png
1630435587409.png
1630435596642.png

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
My dad liked circus peanuts. Which I always thought strange because he really ate in moderation, consumed a ton of vegetables etc. But some reason he liked those things and would come home with a bag from the deli at the local grocery store from time to time. I find them absolutely disgusting. But I only like what I consider "real" candy. I don't consider things like Skittles, Sweet Tarts, Good&Plenty etc. as "real" candy. Hey, I'm allowed to have my own value system!

This thread did remind me that I do like potato candy which I have not had in many years. Of course the catch is that there are hardly any potatoes in potato candy. Go figure. :think:

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Another gas station go-to, always tempting me at lunchtime:
1630436805322.png

These I can be a little more restrained, but will still eat enough to have a sugar crash/headache before my better judgement kicks in.

TOFB

Cyburbian
My dad liked circus peanuts. Which I always thought strange because he really ate in moderation, consumed a ton of vegetables etc. But some reason he liked those things and would come home with a bag from the deli at the local grocery store from time to time. I find them absolutely disgusting. But I only like what I consider "real" candy. I don't consider things like Skittles, Sweet Tarts, Good&Plenty etc. as "real" candy. Hey, I'm allowed to have my own value system!

This thread did remind me that I do like potato candy which I have not had in many years. Of course the catch is that there are hardly any potatoes in potato candy. Go figure. :think:
Circus peanuts are just dense marshmallows. The interwebs told me that.

My Aunt Lillie always had these to share and I will always think of her when I (rarely) have some. She died in 1977.
rum.JPG

TOFB

Cyburbian
Another gas station go-to, always tempting me at lunchtime:
View attachment 55002
These I can be a little more restrained, but will still eat enough to have a sugar crash/headache before my better judgement kicks in.
No, I would get those for long drives to gigs but the whole bag was destroyed in about 80 miles. They are fun to drop into a big fountain diet pepsi too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

The mind boggling thing about circus peanuts is this - THEY STILL SELL THEM IN EVERY GROCERY STORE! Which means there are people out there actually buying them!

kms

Cyburbian
My dad loved circus peanuts too. They set my teeth on edge, but I'll have one if there are any around.

As a kid I liked to different colored circus peanuts but they all tasted the same.

I like just about any kind of candy. Except Jolly Ranchers. Those things stick to my teeth.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I like to get Butterfingers/Clark bars but also like some good Lindt milk chocolate

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Re circus peanuts: I believe they are just dehydrated marshmallows? In any event, I've learned that the marshmallows in most cereals are circus peanuts, but just cut into very tiny pieces. I can't stand the giant circus peanuts, but I'm not above buying a giant bag of cereal marshmallows from Amazon and just eating them by the handful!

My Aunt Margaret always had these:

View attachment 55001

Chocolate nonpareils are one of my favorites and I usually get a box of them when I go to the movies and then I'll dump some into my warm, salty popcorn!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chocolate nonpareils are one of my favorites and I usually get a box of them when I go to the movies and then I'll dump some into my warm, salty popcorn!

omg what a stellar idea

and yes I usually get a box too or of Raisinets for movie candy

movie candy is not the same as elderly relative candy or impulse purchase in the checkout line candy - it's very different

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Re circus peanuts: I believe they are just dehydrated marshmallows? In any event, I've learned that the marshmallows in most cereals are circus peanuts, but just cut into very tiny pieces. I can't stand the giant circus peanuts, but I'm not above buying a giant bag of cereal marshmallows from Amazon and just eating them by the handful!

Try that same trick with Junior Mints. Yummy!

the_girl

There are so many delightful and delicious types of candy out there it's hard to know which one is best. Can you imagine being faced with the dilemma of having to choose between your favorites? It's truly bewildering with so many choices out there! Which candy do you like best?
Circus peanuts?
View attachment 54980
Good n Plenty licorice?
View attachment 54981
coffee flavored hard candies?
View attachment 54982
peanut butter candy?
View attachment 54983
Mary Jane chews or Bit O Honey?

View attachment 54985
you're clearly trolling lololol.

kms

Cyburbian
Someone gets me.

Can I just say it's slightly scary that you even know what those things are called?
I know what they're called and I'm not scary (unless you operate bulldozers). One of those little sugar beads broke one of my fillings. I dont eat chocolate non-pareils now.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Someone gets me.

Can I just say it's slightly scary that you even know what those things are called?

I too know what they are called. We used to have them at every family birthday party. The dark chocolate ones are even better.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I too know what they are called. We used to have them at every family birthday party. The dark chocolate ones are even better.
Okay, there's lotsa slightly scary people out there. If you're gonna be scary then let it be for knowing what an obscure candy is called says I.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Okay, there's lotsa slightly scary people out there. If you're gonna be scary then let it be for knowing what an obscure candy is called says I.
They even have them with rainbow colors for when you're feeling fancy.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I mean Maria sang 'I feel pretty' in West Side Story, so maybe it's not as weird as it sounds.
I mean, I'm not sure "fancy" comes to mind as the first word- but there's days when I'm like, "yes, let's wear the good shoes today," or "Maybe I'll treat the dashboard to an Armor-All wipe today...."

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Try that same trick with Junior Mints. Yummy!

Junior Mints are my back-up candy if the theatre doesn't have chocolate nonpareils (and I forgot to bring my own beforehand). Junior Mints get nice and melty with the warm popcorn too.

I've tried this with M&Ms and that only works if the popcorn is REALLY warm since they candy coating on them makes them a little more difficult to melt.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I mean, I'm not sure "fancy" comes to mind as the first word- but there's days when I'm like, "yes, let's wear the good shoes today," or "Maybe I'll treat the dashboard to an Armor-All wipe today...."
Hmm are you feeling like bursting into song? Do some lyrics spring to mind?

I feel fancy
I feel antsy
My dash could use
some Armor All

Make it glisten
come now listen....:music:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
As my Great Aunt Dolores would say (and she was all in with ribbon candy btw)

Whose better than us?

In the context of my mother in horror walking into the room seeing me having tea with my great aunt (so her aunt) using my great aunt's Royal Daulton china.

lol

use the good china, buy the fancy candy...

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
As my Great Aunt Dolores would say (and she was all in with ribbon candy btw)

Whose better than us?

In the context of my mother in honor walking into the room seeing me having tea with my great aunt (so her aunt) using my great aunt's Royal Daulton china.

lol

use the good china, buy the fancy candy...
Okay, we're both the same age and as such are acutely aware of cultural differences between Greatest, Boomers, and Xers. The notion of having 'fine' things is one that we still pay homage to. We break out the 'fine' china and silverware at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Put out the 'fine' linens or bathroom towels that sit in a drawer for 363 days a year. It feels funny to me to observe these traditions that have their origins in late 19th/early 20th century where the middle class viewed these things as a means of showing off upward mobility.
And yet I have to admire your aunt's practical wisdom that the darned things will almost never be used, why the heck can't we enjoy them?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay, we're both the same age and as such are acutely aware of cultural differences between Greatest, Boomers, and Xers. The notion of having 'fine' things is one that we still pay homage to. We break out the 'fine' china and silverware at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Put out the 'fine' linens or bathroom towels that sit in a drawer for 363 days a year. It feels funny to me to observe these traditions that have their origins in late 19th/early 20th century where the middle class viewed these things as a means of showing off upward mobility.
And yet I have to admire your aunt's practical wisdom that the darned things will almost never be used, why the heck can't we enjoy them?

My Great Aunt Dolores was so awesome, yes - she was just a generally happy person, content with everything - and there are few greater snickering-to-yourself you get when you are a kid to have an older relative scold your MOM (and your Mom obliging!) I remember she said to my Mom when she protested to say what if she breaks it to say "People are more important than things"

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

I remember going to my parents house one time maybe 10 or 15 years ago to help my dad bale hay one day and we took a break and went inside for lunch and my mom served us BLTs and chips or whatever on their good china that they got as a wedding gift back in 1965. I asked what was up with that and my mom told me that she had gotten the china out for Easter dinner a few months earlier and just decided she was done putting it back in the hutch only to pull it out a few months later for Thanksgiving and Christmas and she's just going to use it for every meal. I asked won't she be sad if she breaks a plate or something and she said she'd gotten about 50 years of use out of them to that point and that was good enough. Then she added that if she was doing all of her kids a favor because if she breaks them all, we'd have one less thing to fight over when they're dead! :rofl:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember going to my parents house one time maybe 10 or 15 years ago to help my dad bale hay one day and we took a break and went inside for lunch and my mom served us BLTs and chips or whatever on their good china that they got as a wedding gift back in 1965. I asked what was up with that and my mom told me that she had gotten the china out for Easter dinner a few months earlier and just decided she was done putting it back in the hutch only to pull it out a few months later for Thanksgiving and Christmas and she's just going to use it for every meal. I asked won't she be sad if she breaks a plate or something and she said she'd gotten about 50 years of use out of them to that point and that was good enough. Then she added that if she was doing all of her kids a favor because if she breaks them all, we'd have one less thing to fight over when they're dead! :rofl:
I love this story!

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
When my maternal grandmother passed away, what she (they) had was not much (grandpa was a transit driver in the PNW and grandma worked at the VA hospital canteen) and was somewhat divided up between the kids. I was recently married and living in an apartment so I could not take much. My mother did give to my wife the collection true silverware. We've cannibalized the utensils several times to throw into your drawer one that we needed. Never had the thought to only use at holiday time. Although my wife does have holiday plates.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My wife and I are late Xers and we specifically chose a clean classic Dansk design for our wedding registry (in 2002).

We use them for everyday and 'special' occasions.

They're wonderful and practical and easily replaced when something breaks.