• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

All-time Best Party Songs

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay, we set the date... we're having a housewarming party! Yay!

But now comes the fun part... putting together the music playlist.

So I'm asking for help from the Throbbing Brain. Tell me your favourite party songs! :)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The Humpty Dance

Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes

Young MC songs

Jump - Van Halen

H

Cyburbian
Strokin' (Long & Dirty Mix) by Clarence Carter

Note: I saw him live at the (Sheriff owned) Turning Point on the Panola County line in Mississippi….awesome! One of the best stories have to tell happened that night, maybe I will tell it one day on here. It is work safe, just too long to write right now. :-D

donk

Cyburbian
The Smiths - How soon is now
The Who - My generation
The Pogues - Dirty Old Town
John Prine - Dear Abby
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage
The Clash - I fought the law
Chemical Brothers - no clue whcich one to suggest, but they always seem to come out.
Van Halen - Hot for Teacher

For clean up the next day might I suggest Velvet Underground - Sunday Morning

Jen

Cyburbian
Talking heads => BUrning Down the House

JohncMellencamp =>Pink little houses

Floridays

Cyburbian
American Pie by Don McLean. May sound weird, but you'd be amazed by how many people love to sing along....

I've been on a new wave kick for a couple of months now:

Soft Cell "Tainted Love"

New Order "Blue Monday"

donk

Cyburbian
Have to add - any Tragically Hip song off of Road Apples.

You'll need some make out music too - so better add some Barry White and Curtis Mayfield.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Country songs...

Excellent ideas everyone!!!!

Anyone know of country songs that aren't too vile? We have some country music fans in our circle of friends/co-workers (this is Alberta!)... so we'll need to throw a few into the mix as well. This is my least favorite type of music, so I have no idea what is country and party worthy. Help!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: Country songs...

nerudite said:
Anyone know of country songs that aren't too vile? We have some country music fans in our circle of friends/co-workers (this is Alberta!)... so we'll need to throw a few into the mix as well. This is my least favorite type of music, so I have no idea what is country and party worthy. Help!
Johnny Cash - I walk the line, Ring of Fire, etc. You could always pop on one or two Shania tunes...

Edit: If anyone specifically requests a country tune, try putting on the Blues Brothers version of "Rawhide" and see if anyone gets the joke.

donk

Cyburbian
My list of good country:

Anything off of John Prine Sweet Revenge
Jimmy Rankin sounded pretty good when I saw him last week.
Hoyt Axton - anything off of snowblind friend or rusty old halo
Luther Wright and the Wrongs, Tear Down the Wall

Any Hank Snow, Patsy Cline, early Roy Orbison and most Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings.

Bad Country - any "new" country.

New country is as bad a "nu metal"