• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

"Allow myself to introduce...myself"

nuovorecord

Cyburbian
Hi there, Cyburbanites. I'm another of those long-time lurkers finally coming out of the darkness and into the light of day. As a bit of an introduction, I'm not technically a planner; rather, I manage an alternative transportation program for a government agency. But so much of what I do is trying to work with the built environment, good or bad, and help people find ways to get around that don't involve solitude and the burning of dead dinosaurs.

I'm fortunate to work in a state (Oregon) that is actively trying to plan and build itself in a more human (and humane) form. Not that it's perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but we've done some pretty cool things here in terms of planning. We could lead the nation in percentage of cities successfully fighting off Wal-Marts!

I'm particularly interested in bicycling, especially bike racing and hockey (Go Rangers!). And, though I'm a life-long Portlander, I think New York City is unquestionably the greatest city on the face of the earth! No offense to the other great cities of the world, but the Big Apple has it all. For better or worse, NYC epitomizes what I think an urban environment should be...interesting, multi-cultural, busy, alive, vibrant, historic, modern.

Anyway, that's a bit about me. Happy Holidays to you all!

Peace.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from the among the many Midwesterners
and
a bicyclist and hockey fan.

ludes98

Cyburbian
nuovorecord said:
We could lead the nation in percentage of cities successfully fighting off Wal-Marts!
Oh jeez another rule of Sam.

Welcome! Another lurker ousted!

donk

Cyburbian
welcome from another cyclist, as soon as I saw your name I knew you'd be cool.

If only I could find some old mavic derailleurs....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome! Sounds like you've got a lot of common interests with our big-post-count guys and gals.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
welcome from the land of many layers of guv'ment where sometimes you don't know the difference between your sewer district and your fire district, your library board and your school board, or your town board and your village board. did i mention counties and the state?

JNL

Cyburbian
Welcome from the land of jandals, buzzy bees, Vegemite and kiwifuit. I look forward to visiting NYC some day.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia, nuovorecord!
Hope you have fun here and stick around :)
Cheers! :b: :b:

martini

Cyburbian
Hello from yet another midwesterner, cyclist, and student(soon to be graduate). Hope to see good posts from you NR.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Welcome

I'd be interested in learning more about your efforts to incorporate alternative transportation programs for local governments.

Welcome and happy posting.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Welcome. I appreciate your quote from Eddie Merckx, the great cyclist from my ancestral homeland of Belgium. I look forward to your posts and the inevitable dissing of recumbency.

el Guapo

Capitalist
DecaturHawk said:
I look forward to your posts and the inevitable dissing of recumbency.
Here is a recumbent rider recovering from the pre-purchase pre-frontal lobe removal operation. Had the surgery gone further they patient would have purchased a unicycle with a carbon-fiber fork. ;)