Signs 🪧 Allowed signs as a percentage of wall space or frontage etc

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I have been asked to put a Band-Aid on the sign code to allow for art, municipal signs and a bunch of other stuff

I won't run with the Band-Aid metaphor but I will say it's painful because our sign code regulates every kind of sign imaginable separately which is complete and blatant violation of the wonderful Reed case we all know and love

My dream sign ordinance does something like this:

Your wall sign allowance is dependent upon a percentage of the wall facing a way
Your size of a hanging sign perpendicular to a building is dependent upon the district you are in and the posted speed limit
Your free standing sign allowance is dependent upon how many curb cuts you have and how much frontage you have, along with the posted speed limit
We allow and regulate special amounts of signage in Historic Districts

so in the end it's a function of how big your building is - big buildings get more signs, if speeds are low, then signs don't need to be that big (tons of research on this) and further if you have lots of curb cuts, then you need more wayfinding signs

does this magical document exist?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
We do this:

zo17-10.jpg

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
8 percent of the elevation as the primary sign and secondary sign on separate elevation is 50 percent of the primary sign.

DVD

Cyburbian
The only thing I dealt with in percent was the amount of sign a tenant space could have. 80% of the sign banner area. It basically came down to 1:1 sign to wall length with a minimum of 50 square feet. Granted these were all along 4 lane arterials with speeds of 40-45 mph.