• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Alls fair in love and war?

green lizard

I don't pay attention for a moment and I miss
all the flame action...

This is a great place to debate truthfully. I know I
spend a lot of time in day-to-day life NOT saying
what I really think. Here I can take the side I
really belive in. Even if I am wrong. I learn, he learns
we all learn.

So, this thread is about why this is a good place to
debate. I will put forward the the following;

1) Semi-anonymous
2) A great cross-section of people
3) A SAFE PLACE (flames ok if not directed personally)
4) one more learning experience

It is a start.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Screw you! This is all wrong. You must be some kind of moron.

(Joking - you know that, right?) ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Yeah but every now and then you get the snot nosed academic types who need to get squashed back into their place ya know.

Fo sheezy my neezy ;)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
You can argue politics with EG all you want but he really can't shoot you over the internet. ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I never pictured EG as the type to shoot somebody he disagreed with. More likely, there would be a bomb wired to the ignition of your car (or Segway).

H

Cyburbian
I agree, this is a great place to debate. (originally said vent, but changed to debate. Vent was wrong choice of words;) )

So many times I, as a planner, have to "shut up" and hold my toung for the Boss's, Citizens', Politicians', or the Clients' sake.

It is nice to be able to say, "No, I think you are wrong".

But again, boundaries arent all bad, they get things back on track and I personlally get off track alot here.

So. f*&k off, eveyone is wrong about everything. ;)

(that of course is a joke) :)

Now I feel better, so where did I put that site plan?.......

Last edited:

Habanero

Cyburbian
gots to say na-ney-no my brotha! ;) It's a place to debate, and by all means, please stand up for what you believe in, but when you're wrong or rude, concede.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Hey, I wanted to be a part of this group because of the (mostly) thoughtful debates on planning and other issues that get discussed here.

I think folks here honestly like good debating. I'm awaiting my challenge!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Do y'all think I'm just going sit here and watch you ingrates post in such a conciliatory and polite manner?! I say every last one of you miscreants needs to be taken out to the woodshed. ;)

awww.... i can feel the cyburbia love. i just love cyburbia because it makes friday afternoons go faster.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
green lizard said:
So, this thread is about why this is a good place to
debate...
I find the discussions here to be of great value. Debates, however, are another matter.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
You all are a bunch of rapscallions...

But you're my kind of rapscallions!

H

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
...It's a place to debate...
That’s basically what I was getting at, but didn’t make that point clear. We are able to say no, disagree, and then philosophize about the issue, which sometimes leads to not necessarily an answer, but at least a better understanding of the issue. Then this understanding can be brought into projects, etc.

This is something that I personally am not able to do in my current work situation, since I am with a very small firm. If a client says, they don’t care about “walkability” and that the planners need to shut up about it. The best thing to do is shut up about it. Because if you don’t, you will be fired by that client.

Unfortunate but true.

As a planner I usually get one chance to make a suggestion, after that it up to the clients, politicians, etc.. to make a decision.

And if they chose not to listen, I must hold my tongue.

So debate that ;)

pandersen

Cyburbian
Why I Frequent this Place...

Good responses, all around!

As for why Iparticipate here from time to time, I'd have to say my reasons vary from moment to moment.

Sometimes I want to rant or vent (something/someone has pissed me off at work).

Other times, I turn to this site as a good source for planing information.

There are still other times when I visit Cyburbia because I want to feel that I'm part of a larger community of like-minded professionals that apprecieate the "lighter side of planning".

Finally, if I were being honest with myself, I could roam through the breadth of my posts to this site and use to guage my overall well-being. When I first started out here, my moniker used to be "Planner in Purgatory". These days, however, I just use my first initial and last name as my "on-line persona". I'd like to believe this means I'm in a happier place both personally and professionalyy as compared with my situation a couple of years ago.

These insights may not be terribly insightful or controversial but they are my TRUTH!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Seabishop said:
You can argue politics with EG all you want but he really can't shoot you over the internet. ;)
Nor, would EG want to shoot you. EG has even taken his liberal friends to the range. But make no mistake, if W said to shoot you I'd have to do it. ;)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Michael Stumpf said:
I never pictured EG as the type to shoot somebody he disagreed with. More likely, there would be a bomb wired to the ignition of your car (or Segway).
The bomb would be disguised as a rolled up copy of the Village Voice and a bag of granolla.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
This is a very good place to debate, I have no harsh feelings towards anybody here, even to EG after the heated arguments over the war ;)