• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Aloha Cyburbia!

oahumpo

Hi All,

My name is Nicki and I am with the Oahu Metropolitan Planning Organization (OahuMPO) in Hawaii. We coordinate regional transportation planning with the City/County of Honolulu, Hawaii DOT and the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation.

I'm a program manager, but I think my colleagues let me pass as an honorary planner most of the time.
I am primarily here because the OahuMPO is hiring a Sr. Transportation Planner and we HAVE to think out of the box this time to find someone FANTASTIC with MPO experience to be part of our path forward. I'm shamelessly acknowledging that I'm here for recruitment purposes.

My role with the organization is to manage the Overall Work Program (most of you know this as a Unified Planning Work Program) and monitor the local agencies that receive federal planning funds through the OahuMPO. I'm also apparently now helping the Executive Director with hiring strategies....

As far as planning goes, sea level rise/coastal erosion and pedestrian safety are big topics here, especially within our Citizen's Advisory Committee.

I'm a full time bicycle commuter on the King St cycle track :)

Nicki

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Welcome Nicki! Generally we require that you hang around a bit before we let you post Job Announcements, so I hope you check out some posts and join in. I certainly would love to hear about how things are going in Hawaii.

Glad to have you!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Welcome to Cyburbia! Great to see some more transportation planner types here! My honeymoon was in Maui, and although it’s not your island, I thought it was interesting that there was such a large transportation infrastructure for what seemed like a small population. It really didn’t seem any different than what’s on the mainland.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Welcome from Biki's member of the month for February. (A month pass was the most efficient option for me.) Spent a week there in December. :bike:

Overall I was impressed with some of the transportation resources serving O'ahu, particularly TheBus. The general lack of pedestrian travel options, not so much. (I walked from the traffic circle to downtown Haleiwa and along Kamehameha Hwy near Dole Plantation, noticed the desire lines and general "need to know" provisions for walkers.)

This file needs an update. :bike:

Hope you find your new planning home here to be pleasant and entertaining.

biki  IMG_3879.JPG

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Aloha, from someone who used to live in Hawaii! The military and then college took me away, but I have fond memories!

Hope you find ThePerson you are looking for!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from the Hoosier State. The closest body of water is the Ohio River.

DVD

Cyburbian
Hello from Phoenix. What is the water you speak of? It sounds interesting.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Hi, Nicki! Greetings from another Hoosier along the Ohio River, just farther upstream.

Went to the NFL Pro Bowl many many moons ago. (Long story.) It was worth your while to watch for the "Golden Showers".

Anywho, good luck with the job posting.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I posted your job ad for you. This section alone should recruit some viable candidates:

SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Salary range is $72,000 -$103,000 depending upon skills and experience
• Retirement and healthcare benefits provided by the State of Hawaii
• Generous leave policies and flexible scheduling
• Aloha attire and casual dress every day

:blueshirt:

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Hello from the central coast of CA! Sea level rise and coastal erosion are big topics of concern here, too.