• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Aloha! From Mobile, Alabama

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
Hello guys, i just found this website. I've been looking for a good planning message board for quite sometime. Right now i'm majoring in Geography at the University of South Alabama (no Urban Planning dept :( )

I'm sure many of you have never been to Mobile or know the history behind this great city. Mobile just celebrated it's 300th aniversary in 2002. Many also don't know that Mardi Gras was founded here, NOT New Orleans.

Be prepared for many pictures of Mobile in the future :)

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome. Looking forward to your contribution to the threads.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from
SW IN, in the CTZ, northshore of the Ohio River at mm 792.5

Do you know that you can connect the Ohio River to your fair city in two ways?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Welcome from SW Michigan. I have not been there, but I did know about the Marti Gras thing.

You are in luck, this place is a great place to learn, share, and experience. Post, and post often.

Oh and new people buy the :b:

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
Just thought i'd let you guys know, i used the link above to buy a book off Amazon. "Suburban Nation : The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream"

biscuit

Cyburbian
Kobayashi said:
Just thought i'd let you guys know, i used the link above to buy a book off Amazon. "Suburban Nation : The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream"
Your contibution to our beer fund is much appreciated. ;-)

Welcome from mile zero of the Ohio River.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from the bottom of Lake Michigan - Chicago!

I've driven through Mobile during a road trip from New Orleans to Florida's Panhandle. It was the day after Mardi Gras and I liked the dowtown area.

Post early and post often

ludes98

Cyburbian
Welcome from the Valley of the Sun. I make it to Hunsville every couple years to visit relatives, but have never made it to Mobile. I look forward to seeing some good pictures.

Dragon

Cyburbian
Kobayashi said:
I'm sure many of you have never been to Mobile
I was there last weekend, and although I go often, I had no idea that downtown had so much French architecture. I also saw a building on fire 8-! , hope no one was hurt.

Welcome to Cyburbia.

BKM

Cyburbian
Welcome from Northern California, land of the 84 degree March day :(

I visited Mobile once and found it quite charming and sleepy. Has there been much investment voer the last decade downtown? I liked Benvenue Square a lot.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Welcome from the beginning of the lower gage of the McAlpine Locks and Dam, Eastern Standard Time Zone for 19 more days (then we illegally turn forward our clocks).

I visited the USS Alabama (BB60) museum in 2002, but didn't make it into downtown Mobile. When my kids get older, perhaps.

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Welcome from Northern California, land of the 84 degree March day :(

I visited Mobile once and found it quite charming and sleepy. Has there been much investment voer the last decade downtown? I liked Benvenue Square a lot.
The city has made great strides within the last 5 years to revitalize downtown mobile. In fact i'm living in a newly renovated duplex in the historic Oakleigh district. There are many ongoing projects in downtown Mobile. The RSA Tower is set to be completed in 2006, which will be the tallest building in alabama. Also to be completed in 2006 is waterfront Maritime Center along with a Carnival Cruise ship terminal. Many Mobilians that left downtown during the civil rights movement are moving back in droves.

Here is a rendering of the new Maritime Center along with the new RSA tower to the far right.

Here is an artists rendering drawn a few years ago, but is farily accurate, most of what you see here is not completed but will be by 2006.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ahh I did some college down at Dolphin Island in the early 90's-loved it down there and Bellinggrathe (sp?) Gardens was quite a treat to this city girl.

Welcome from the DC area.

Kobayashi said:
I'm sure many of you have never been to Mobile or know the history behind this great city. Mobile just celebrated it's 300th aniversary in 2002. Many also don't know that Mardi Gras was founded here, NOT New Orleans.
Welcome aboard. I've been to Mobile a few times. Yes, it's true Mardi Gras was founded there, but NO ONE can do it better than New Orleans! :)