• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Alternate uses for newspaper, and, uh, Charo discussion

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Last night junior was working on a chainsaw and was taking the choke assembly apart. Not wanting to get oil all over our back table I barked at him "if you're going to work on that there put some newspapers underneath it!" Then it dawned on me we haven't had a subscription, nor any newspapers delivered to our house in a very long time.

Do you think Charo would have realized this more quickly than I and suggested a different material than newspaper?

1597331115138.png
Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Last night junior was working on a chainsaw and was taking the choke assembly apart. Not wanting to get oil all over our back table I barked at him "if you're going to work on that there put some newspapers underneath it!" Then it dawned on me we haven't had a subscription, nor any newspapers delivered to our house in a very long time.

Do you think Charo would have realized this more quickly than I and suggested a different material than newspaper?
View attachment 48812
I, too, have not had a newspaper subscription in many years. But, since I use newspaper to clean glass (it won't leave streaks!), I actually bring home a stack of the local paper that we get at the office. :cool:

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I, too, have not had a newspaper subscription in many years. But, since I use newspaper to clean glass (it won't leave streaks!), I actually bring home a stack of the local paper that we get at the office. :cool:
We recently started subscribing to the paper again because my mom is with us and needs something to do. I know it's super expensive, but it keeps her engaged to read.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
We use a chimney starter for our Weber grill and yeah, finding newspapers in the house is tough to stuff the bottom of the chimney with - we get newspaper-like circulars in the mailbox but often we just buy the local newspaper every couple of weeks to use

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Our office gets a couple papers delivered every day and then after the get read by whoever wants them, they get put in a big box in the kitchen to be used for whatever. I periodically bring a handful of them home with me to use for starting fires.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We use a chimney starter for our Weber grill and yeah, finding newspapers in the house is tough to stuff the bottom of the chimney with - we get newspaper-like circulars in the mailbox but often we just buy the local newspaper every couple of weeks to use
I save the rough cardboard egg containers. They burn well and relatively slow.

Also, save all your clothes dryer lint. It is an amazing fire starter especially if loosely wrapped in a little toilet paper.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This is the other thing we use newspaper for. We had newspapers in the magazine rack up until maybe late last year, but those have been gone for months. I actually bought some fire cubes to get charcoal chimneys started. In the past that would have been last months Gazette's job.

Now if Charo wanted to start a fire, she would just use her own hotness.
1597337991913.png

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Our dryer lint is 95% cat fur....not too sure about that idea.
ewwww...:p

But, also, I use my gas grill with an electric starter. No need for a charcoal chimney.

Ha. :D

DVD

Cyburbian
My wife actually subscribes to newspapers. It's damn expensive just for her morning routine of coffee and the paper, but it makes her happy, whatever. I spend a lot of money on things that make her happy. I believe Charo would approve.

1597344310178.png