• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • On Thursday night (2/21), I did something I probably shouldn't have with the server. I lost about 90 posts and three new users in the process. If you registered on Thursday, please re-register. If you posted on Thursday, maybe post twice as much on Friday? Again, I apologize. :(

Alternative building configurations for big box retailers

Our City is in the early stages of redesigning a planned entertainment center to accomodate a Target store in the design. We are anticipating resistance from Target in reconfiguring their store and / or reorienting the entrance(s) to allow the store to open up to the planned plaza area (and existing trolley / transit station rather than the main parking lot.

We would be interested in the experiences any other jurisdictions may have had in getting the Target Stores to agree to unusual and innovative building configurations and / or the use of multiple entrances.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
One has to ask why your community is interested in a Target or any other big box retailer in an entertainment district. After that is answered (rationalized) you can begin the specific questions. Multiple entrances are expensive for this type of operation. Each needs checkout counters, security, personnel. Building configuration is part of their copporate scheme and is difficult to change. I am sure that you have already heard these arguments. These are reasons a big box is not usually in the mix of an entertainment center. If you can stick to your guidelines, you will win. Some big boxes will make modifications to fit into the plan; those that will not do not belong there. Emphasize the anticipated number of customers that will access the site via transit. A while back I visited a regional mall via mass transit, and felt like a second class citizen because there was no direct access from the station to a main entrance.

Todd- I remember reading a story in Planning Magazine a few years ago on this subject. I think they highlighted downtown big box developments in Tulsa and New York City. I do not remember the name of the big box companies involved. Sorry.