• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Amenity buildings and development cost charges

Greetings and salutations!

In your experience, how do municipalities apply development cost charges to amenity buildings within a strata / HOA development?

We have a developer looking to add an amenity building to their project for the exclusive use of residents of that strata. I believe the developer is looking to build a space for a gym and storage . It will be connected to sewer, water etc. Because of that last fact, I don't see how it should be exempt from DCCs and other fees. But the building is not commercial, or residential, so we don't have a definitive category to capture it within our DCC program.

How have you seen it done?

Thanks!

The commercial classification covers everything that isn't residential in my current city, even churches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
The commercial classification covers everything that isn't residential in my current city, even churches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

Residential is a very narrow definition in building codes (1-2 family dwellings), while commercial is a broad definition that includes everything else.

We classify those as commercial. Even mail kiosks get classified as commercial.

thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input. I was leaning commercial, so it was nice to see that as the common response.

Until my next DCC question.... ;)