• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

American Planning Association (good deal?)

Dacia0117

About to become a full time grad student, I am really focused on my career and future now. I want to make as many contacts as possible and I was wondering if joining the APA is a good idea. I know there are some membershipf fees and I was wondering if it is really worth it or not.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Joining the national APA won't get you many professional contacts (except for the conference) however, joining your state chapter probably will especially if they have conferences, seminars, etc.

If you join as a grad student it is a good deal, plus you can then attend the conference at the student member rate, which is also a good deal. If you attend the conference you will network with more planners than you can stand! They also offer a job mart and on-site interviews.

Now whether the APA is worth it after you graduate and get a full-time planner job the answer you will get on this board is a resounding NO! That is unless your employer pays for it! They charge a lot of money and all you really get is Planning Magazine and a slew of junk mail begging you to buy books, attend conferences, and join all kinds of APA specialty groups. Oh, and the opportunity to pay even more money to take the AICP test, which raises your annual dues even more.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
As a student, it's definitely worth it.

Once a professional, I still think it's worth it for the Chapter experience (maybe I'm biased because I have a great chapter, though).

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I agree--take advantage of the student rate and hopefully your future employer will pick up the tab later.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
As an investment in networking, it is worth joining. That is especially true of the student rate, but I would argue that it is important to continue to be involved and active during your career. You will receive little of any value from the national organization. The value of your state chapter will vary, depending on whether they are organized or not. Kudos to those who have made some very good changes in the Wisconsin Chapter in recent years.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
I strongly agree with joining APA at the student rate. Try to become as active as possible in the State Chapter activities. This is a great networking opportunity.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
I agree--take advantage of the student rate and hopefully your future employer will pick up the tab later.
Ditto but when you become a professional planner, get your employer to sign you up to be a member of the Urban Land Institute (ULI) and APA.